GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plants for Roadway Median (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/141265-plants-roadway-median.html)

[email protected] 18-03-2006 12:17 AM

Plants for Roadway Median

My neighborhood association is renovating a long-neglected roadway
median in our Zone 9 Northern California neighborhood. There will be no
irrigation to this median, so we're hoping to have some success with
native plants. Any suggestions on plantings that will offer year-round
interest and beauty to the island yet require a minimum of care?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Travis M. 18-03-2006 09:03 AM

Plants for Roadway Median

wrote in message
oups.com
My neighborhood association is renovating a long-neglected
roadway
median in our Zone 9 Northern California neighborhood. There
will
be no irrigation to this median, so we're hoping to have some
success with native plants. Any suggestions on plantings that
will
offer year-round interest and beauty to the island yet require
minimum of care?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

I would suggest plants that are native to your part of
California.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[email protected] 18-03-2006 03:29 PM

Plants for Roadway Median

Try putting Xeriscape into a search engine.

RAINDEAR 23-03-2006 12:30 AM

Plants for Roadway Median

when i was travelling in california.....a llllllong time ago (like 1985), i
was impressed by the "ice plant" (NOT Delosperma cooperii) the highway dept.
had planted on the medians and on the slopes near the overpasses.

upon close examination of the plant, there was a slight 'glint' to the
fleshy parts, but it was something which closely resembled a lobster claw
(imho) which was reddish in colour, and in autumn, became HIGHLY RED in
colour---for miles that is what you could see on the median.

I understand california dept. of transportation uprooted all of them,
however, because, supposedly, they were invasive. i remember thinking:
"they're growing on the medians....WHERE could they invade?"
at any rate, my investigations of trying to find starts of this plant were
halted because i live in new hampshire and trying to get information from
cali became impossible....no one responded to my email, phone calls, OR
snailmails. in case you're wondering WHY i should want it living in a state
which has winters which would definitely kill it?? it grows BEAUTIFULLY
inside in long window-type boxes. whilst i was living in utah i had about 4
boxes of them (yeah, i DID "borrow" some rooted plants on that trip to cali
and got the roots home safely by wrapping them in wet paper towels. they
were happy to get planted, though. ;o)

gosh, did i digress yet again?? i apologise....but living in the 5th
dimension will do that to you. the 5th dimension is the CRS one and i find
myself to be the co-chairperson.
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.

Newsgroups: rec.gardens