Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
kate

Default crepe myrtle

I received a gift of someones Arbor Day Foundation trees and one is a
crepe myrtle. It has yet to show signs of life and even the old black
locust is leafing out. I'm zone 6 something - Nashville TN. Are these
late bloomers or has another one bit the dust?

Kate
Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Steve

I live in Alabama, zone 8 and my crepe myrtle is just now leafing out. So,
yes, they are somewhat late to start leafing, and should bloom mid to late
summer, usually around late July.

Steve

Old 07-04-2003, 09:08 PM
kate

Thanks, Steve!

Old 07-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Alice Gamewell

Crep Myrtles are one of the last plants to show any life in the
spring. Just be a little patient.
Alice

Old 08-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

kate wrote:

I received a gift of someones Arbor Day Foundation trees and one is a
crepe myrtle. It has yet to show signs of life and even the old black
locust is leafing out. I'm zone 6 something - Nashville TN. Are these
late bloomers or has another one bit the dust?

Kate

Nick the bark with a thumbnail. If the cambium is still green, don't
give up hope.

Old 08-04-2003, 01:44 PM
kate

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote:

kate wrote:

I received a gift of someones Arbor Day Foundation trees and one is a
crepe myrtle. It has yet to show signs of life and even the old black
locust is leafing out. I'm zone 6 something - Nashville TN. Are these
late bloomers or has another one bit the dust?

Kate

Nick the bark with a thumbnail. If the cambium is still green, don't
give up hope.

I just haven't been able to make myself do that, although my neighbor
did teach me that method several years ago. I guess I'll stick with
patience.....

Thanks!

Kate

Old 09-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Kipper

"kate" wrote in message

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote:

kate wrote:

I received a gift of someones Arbor Day Foundation trees and one is a
crepe myrtle. It has yet to show signs of life and even the old black
locust is leafing out. I'm zone 6 something - Nashville TN. Are these
late bloomers or has another one bit the dust?

Kate

Nick the bark with a thumbnail. If the cambium is still green, don't
give up hope.

I just haven't been able to make myself do that, although my neighbor
did teach me that method several years ago. I guess I'll stick with
patience.....

Thanks!

Kate

I live in Nashville and mine are showing no signs of life, but I know they
are OK. They look like this every year. I've trimmed then down and can't
wait for it to get warm so they can grow.
Karen

Old 09-04-2003, 07:20 PM
kate

Kipper wrote:

I live in Nashville and mine are showing no signs of life, but I know they
are OK. They look like this every year. I've trimmed then down and can't
wait for it to get warm so they can grow.
Karen

They're sure not going to grow today - brrrr.

Kate - but my lilac is in bloom

Old 14-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Peter B.

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:09:23 -0500, kate
wrote:

I received a gift of someones Arbor Day Foundation trees and one is a
crepe myrtle. It has yet to show signs of life and even the old black
locust is leafing out. I'm zone 6 something - Nashville TN. Are these
late bloomers or has another one bit the dust?

Kate

I live in Denver, NC - zone 7 - and our Crepe Myrtles have not yet
started to show any signs of life. They start late and bloom late.

While there some hybrids that are reported to be more hardy, Crepes
do not do well in really cold climates. Just sixty miles north of
where I live, in the mountains, Crepes are extremely rare. The cold
weather kills them off.

Pete

Remove the "X" to send e-mail.