Old 19-03-2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default Bermuda grass disappearing

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Teo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for the feedback. I live in Atlanta, GA, so cold probably is
not the reason although I do notice that the grass is receding more
after the winter. Is there anything that can be done to fix the issue
besides tearing down the fence or cutting the tree :-)

Bermuda needs full sun to thrive. You might try the hybrid,

Celebration,
which claims to have some shade tolerance.
http://www.sodsolutions.com/celebration/index.shtml

Give that a miss. If you follow the link you will note it is an Australian
variety. The grass will simply sit on its arse all day, refuse to do
anything (like grow) and expect you to fertilise it constantly with beer.
Best find yourself a hard working grass variety.

rob

Old 19-03-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Teo" wrote in message
[...]

That may be so, and I'll defer to your keen insight into the Aussie
horticultural tendencies........ It's unlikely American beer would make it
very happy, in any case.

if its free the aussie grass will drink it but complain about it afterwards.

rob

Old 19-03-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Teo

I have Bermuda grass on my lawn. I built a fence around my backyard
about three years ago. Since then the grass in the left fence corner is
gradually disappearing (the spot is enlarging from the fence post
toward the house). Currently, there is a spot about 10' x 10' which
is completely barren. I also have a tree in that corner but I have two
other trees in the backyard and the grass there is just fine.

What may be causing the Bermuda grass to dislike the fence? More
importantly, what could be done to reverse the process?

Old 20-03-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

On 19 Mar 2006 13:39:40 -0800, "Teo" wrote:

I have Bermuda grass on my lawn. I built a fence around my backyard
about three years ago. Since then the grass in the left fence corner is
gradually disappearing (the spot is enlarging from the fence post
toward the house). Currently, there is a spot about 10' x 10' which
is completely barren. I also have a tree in that corner but I have two
other trees in the backyard and the grass there is just fine.

What may be causing the Bermuda grass to dislike the fence? More
importantly, what could be done to reverse the process?

Two possibilities come to mind.

Too much shade? Bermuda doesn't like shade.

Too much cold? Did the fence block air drainage and trap cold air in
the area where the Bermuda isn't growing?
Old 20-03-2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy writes:

Another possibility --- do you have dogs that like to pee in that
spot ?

Old 20-03-2006, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Teo

No dogs and no one does anything there except me mowing the lawn.

Old 21-03-2006, 09:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In article ,
says...

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Teo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for the feedback. I live in Atlanta, GA, so cold probably is
not the reason although I do notice that the grass is receding more
after the winter. Is there anything that can be done to fix the issue
besides tearing down the fence or cutting the tree :-)

Bermuda needs full sun to thrive. You might try the hybrid,

Celebration,
which claims to have some shade tolerance.
http://www.sodsolutions.com/celebration/index.shtml

Give that a miss. If you follow the link you will note it is an Australian
variety. The grass will simply sit on its arse all day, refuse to do
anything (like grow) and expect you to fertilise it constantly with beer.
Best find yourself a hard working grass variety.

No, you are mistaken. The Australian grass will sneak up and try
to tickle the feet of random sheep, trying to excite them.

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/

Old 21-03-2006, 10:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"Teo" wrote in message
[...]

though Aussie grass varieties are very good for rolling cricket balls across
I understand. Developed especially for that purpose.

rob

Old 23-03-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Teo

It is clay soil. Hm, I never thought that I may not have been watering
that particular spot enough. Perhaps, buldling a fence aggrevated the
issue somehow. Will try watering more, followed by beer :-)

Hal wrote:
On 19 Mar 2006 16:14:15 -0800,

Thank you for the feedback. I live in Atlanta, GA, so cold probably is
not the reason although I do notice that the grass is receding more
after the winter. Is there anything that can be done to fix the issue
besides tearing down the fence or cutting the tree :-)

If it isn't too much shade it's probably a water issue. What type
soil in that corner? Clay soil takes a longer time to absorb
rainfall and gets dry. I'm roughly 100 South of Atlanta and have
spots of clay in my centipede yard that I have to be more diligent in
watering those spots. Light watering for longer periods of time
works better for me.

Regards,

Hal

[IMG] code is On

Zoysia vs Bermuda grass Clem Gardening 2 06-06-2003 07:32 PM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 06:46 PM
Bermuda Grass Bob Texas 0 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
Bermuda grass question Gene S Texas 7 05-04-2003 12:08 PM
Eliminating Bermuda Grass Chris Haney North Carolina 2 17-02-2003 08:56 PM