Old 20-03-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Small Space Gardening- Vertical "bed"

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I saw a structure built out of wood at the Chicago Botanical Gardens in
the small garden section that basically was a wood frame say 6' high x
5' wide x 1' deep. It had landscape fabric on the front (I assume the
back was solid) and had the plants poking out through holes cut in the
fabric. You can grow herbs, vegetables or flowers. Basically, you are
getting 30 Sq Ft of gardening space in a 5 SQ Ft footprint. Obviously,
you probably couldn't grow watermelons or something like that (possibly
on the bottom) , but I think most things would work.

My question is has anyone built something similar and how did you do
it? My concern is keeping the dirt in and adding dirt through the
small holes cut in the landscape fabric. Maybe they are able to add
dirt from the top or the back?? Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. I
need to get over there when it warms up to get a closer look at how
they built theirs.

I can't address the construction issue, but you definitely *can* grow melons
by building a strong frame on one side of the structure, for the vines to
grow on, and hanging the melons in hammock-style things. I made mine out of
plastic bird mesh, which was strong enough for cantelopes. Obviously, you'd
need something much stronger for watermelons, but it can be done.

Old 21-03-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gary Groundhog

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
news
I can't address the construction issue, but you definitely *can* grow
melons by building a strong frame on one side of the structure, for
the vines to grow on, and hanging the melons in hammock-style things.
I made mine out of plastic bird mesh, which was strong enough for
cantelopes. Obviously, you'd need something much stronger for
watermelons, but it can be done.

I love the groundhog ladies with big melons.