Old 07-04-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Leland cypresses too tall!!!

First, sorry if I capitalized this word incorrectly.

My property in Fairfax County, Virginia is lined with Leland
Cypresses, providing an excellent block. This was one of the buying
points for the house when we bought five years ago. The problem now
is that these trees have grown to 40 feet in height. This causes
several concerns, not least of which that they might fall onto
something or someone. I cringe when I hear that 50 mile and hour
gusts are coming to town!

I've gotten several opinions on this, all of which differ:

-A friend told me that he believed we could leave them alone. This I
don't believe, given that one or two are already starting to lean
funny.

-One tree guy told me that they would die if we trimmed any more then
the top 1/5 off.

-Another tree guy suggested we trim them in half (and he wanted 3400
dollars to do so).

I've researched on the web, but can't seem to find a consistent
opinion there either. So I've come here for advise on this.

Opinions?

Also, some of the leaves (if thats what they are called) have begun to
brown and die. Is this a sign of a sick tree? Is there something I
can do about this?

thanks in advance!

-BC

Brian Clark -- Software Design/Development Consultant|
lid |

If your going to email a response to one of my posts, please also try
to post it if you can. I'd like to keep everyone involved!

Old 07-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:18:26 +0000, bclar wrote:

[...]

Good day BC. From my understanding, Leland cypress is a rather hard wood.
I wouldn't worry all too much about them breaking in the wind. I would on
the other hand be cautious of wind throw. I believe that a Leland cypress
should be able to withstand a 50 mile an hour wind, but 80 90 is a
different storry altogether.

Before I would decide what to do, I'd first answer...
Do these trees swing excessively in high wind? ( More than other trees
near by that are the same size/shape)
Does it appear that the trees are becoming unstable in the ground? (rising
roots to the surface, strange dips in the soil at the base of trees...ect)
Have the trees sustained any damage from past wind storms?
Have the trees sustained any damage from insects/disease?

If the answer is no to most of these questions, then I'd leave them alone.
If you fear that they will be thrown by the wind, you could have the trees
windowed. Windowing is when you remove 20% or so of the branches so air
can pass through the tree instead of the tree becoming a sail.

As far as the opions go...
1 I agree with your friend. Leave them alone. If the 2 leaners get any
worse, have those two removed.

2 This tree guy is more or less right. More than a 1/5 removal will most
likely damage the tree to the point where they will die in 5 years.

3 This tree guy is an idiot and possibly a crook. Heres what will happen
if this was to be done...
First he butchers the trees.
second your less 3800 dollars
third some of your trees die
forth all the rest of the living trees will 'flush' and put out exsessive
new growth
fith your trees new growth will be weakly attached to the tree and the
branches will break off and fly in the storms of the future
sixth your calling a tree guy again in 3 to 5 years to cut them back from
40 feet to 20...ect

As you can see, topping them will make them become disfigured and
danagerous.

It's possible that your Lelands are sheding old needles. No need to worry.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Old 07-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Pam

lid wrote:

[...]

Topping a single leader conifer is never a good idea. It deforms the
growth habit of the tree, opens it up to invasion of insects and disease
problems and shortens the lifespan. Young Leylands can be hedged, but this
is an ongoing (read, constant) process that must be started well before
they reach anywhere close to their current height and it too will result
in a not long-lived hedge. If the trees are well-planted, healthy and
properly established, there should no more risk to them from winds than
there would be to any other tall conifer. 80'+ Doug firs and western red
cedars are the norm here and withstand ferocious windstorms. If you have
sufficient space to accommodate these trees, then leave them be. They will
be far healthier for it in the long run and much more able to stand up to
what Mother Nature tosses at them.

Some browning of foliage is a natural occurrence, specially after a hard
winter. If it persists, have a tree expert or your local extension office
diagnose the specific problem and recommend treatment. Diagnosing plant
problems via the internet is about as effective as diagnosing your own
health problems in this manner.

pam - gardengal