GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pleaching (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/141476-pleaching.html)

jpd1009 24-03-2006 02:37 AM

Pleaching

I am looking for a tree suitable for pleaching. Ideally the tree should
be evergreen or 'near' evergreen (I know some Pyrus varieties. have
this behaviour). Searching the web Tilia (lime) varieties is also
mentioned. I would appreciate any comments on plant selection and also
on the techniques employed to pleach....

The pleached row of plants will run down one side of my rear yard and
is planned to have a height of b/w 3 - 4 m.

thanks

james

Kay Lancaster 02-04-2006 04:42 PM

Pleaching

On 23 Mar 2006 18:37:04 -0800, jpd1009 wrote:
I am looking for a tree suitable for pleaching. Ideally the tree should
be evergreen or 'near' evergreen (I know some Pyrus varieties. have
this behaviour). Searching the web Tilia (lime) varieties is also
mentioned. I would appreciate any comments on plant selection and also
on the techniques employed to pleach....

Whatever you choose should have a good tolerance for pruning and
pliable, non-brittle branches. You give no idea of where you are,
so I can't really suggest anything. Limber pine (Pinus flexilis)
is one that comes to mind that might meet your criteria.

Kay

Carl 1 Lucky Texan 02-04-2006 09:39 PM

Pleaching

jpd1009 wrote:
I am looking for a tree suitable for pleaching. Ideally the tree should
be evergreen or 'near' evergreen (I know some Pyrus varieties. have
this behaviour). Searching the web Tilia (lime) varieties is also
mentioned. I would appreciate any comments on plant selection and also
on the techniques employed to pleach....

The pleached row of plants will run down one side of my rear yard and
is planned to have a height of b/w 3 - 4 m.

thanks

james

check;
http://www.arborsmith.com/index.html
http://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/good_wood/pleachng.htm

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

jpd1009 04-04-2006 02:22 AM

Pleaching

my apologies...i usually add my location...Melbourne AUS