Old 16-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Todd J.

Default Calla Lily question

Do Calla Lilies propagate in any way??? Or, are they like most tulips
and give up the ghost after 2-3 years?

Change the .com to .net to email me
Old 16-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Zemedelec

In California, they're considered weeds, and grow with similar vigor.
zemedelec
Old 21-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Registered User

Location: sunny California USA
Default Considered a weed?

Im from California (sunny Sacramento) too but your the only person ive heard say that they are a weed . I wouldn't even consider them as such,as i have never seen them grow wildly and uncontrolably anywhere.we must be from different areas definitely

Hello Todd
propagation on the callas there is a couple of ways one is by seeds which is hidden in the splathe,after they are pollinated the spathe turns green and as the berries rippen the spathe rots away leaving the berries on a stem these are your seeds.(the spathe is the petal looking modified leaf that surround the spadix ,the spadix is the yellow spike lin the center .It contains tiny male and female flowers the pollinating male flowers on the top part of the spadix and the femal are located on the lower part) also propagation can be from rhizomes/tuber (swollen roots)which grows more rhizomes which can be seprated to grow more plants . after the plant has flowered that is when its usally in the process of this just keep taking care of the plant and in fall before winter sets in you can dig up and see your harvest .

Hope this helps alittle
happy Gardening
Debby in 106 degree weather in sunny Californina
[url=http://http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/multisports/53/calla.html]
Old 21-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Jen in Chicago

I have a Calla Lilly on my front porch. It sems to be really happy
and it's a little pot bound which I read on someone's lilly page that
they love. Only problem is the greens are about 2' high (versus 12"
last year) and it hasn't produced any flowers.... I only get about 1-2
hours of direct sunlight on the porch per day. Should I move it to
the deck so that it gets about 6 hours of sun?

It also stayed pretty cold here around Chicago until the beginning of
July. Any other Calla gardeners in zones 4 or 5 still waiting for
blooms?

Thoughts?

TIA,
J in Chicago
Old 21-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Zemedelec

Im from California (sunny Sacramento) too but your the only person ive
heard say that they are a weed . I wouldn't even consider them as
such,as i have never seen them grow wildly and uncontrolably
anywhere.we must be from different areas definitely

Was that me you were quoting? If I remember correctly, I said that they grew
so lavishly that some people almost *cpnsidered* them a weed in my area (then,
Mandeville Canyon in the Santa Monica Mountains.)
I cultivate several kinds of callas now in New Orleans, and I'm delighted when
they flower--although none of mine are the pure white kind I grew up with.
zemedelec

[IMG] code is On

Calla Lily- Marutchi[_3_] Garden Photos 6 28-01-2008 01:35 AM
calla lily question mermeg Gardening 1 12-06-2006 01:04 AM
Calla lily revival Rose Bingham Gardening 1 20-10-2004 06:45 PM
Calla Lily Jackee Edible Gardening 11 19-04-2004 04:04 PM
calla lily peter Texas 1 06-06-2003 06:08 PM