GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn Weed Indentification and Control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/141614-lawn-weed-indentification-control.html)

rw 27-03-2006 09:54 PM

Lawn Weed Indentification and Control

We live in Massachusetts and put down a corn gluten pre-emergent weed
control product back on March 19th.

Although the lawn is still dormant, we've noticed some type of weed has
emerged (March 27). Can anyone identify what type of weed it is (URL
to picture is below) and the best way to get rid of it / prevent them
going forward (organic if possible).

http://www.addieryan.com/2006/2006March_LawnWeed.JPG

img src="http://www.addieryan.com/2006/2006March_LawnWeed.JPG" /

Thanks, rw

www.StockSeed.com 28-03-2006 04:42 PM

Lawn Weed Indentification and Control

Looks like Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule), a member of the mint family.
The best time to control Henbit (non-organic) is in the fall with a
postemergence broadleaf control product.

An organic approach would be to pull these weeds now, and mow high
(2.5-3 inches) the rest of the year... pulling the henbit when you see
it. The taller grass should smother the henbit seedlings.

I will be composing an article about Henbit on our website at the
following page: http://www.stockseed.com/weeds_henbit.asp ... look for
it in a few days.

John

www.StockSeed.com 30-03-2006 03:36 PM

Lawn Weed Indentification and Control

Update: I have posted the information for Henbit to
http://www.stockseed.com/weeds_produ...ay.asp?pid=163 instead of
the link previously posted.