GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cleaning and Pruning some Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/141719-cleaning-pruning-some-trees.html)

Solomon_Man 30-03-2006 11:29 PM

Cleaning and Pruning some Trees

All,
I have a few black walnut trees that need a minor pruning. Is there
anything that I should put over the cuts to protect the trees from
insect and such?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Treedweller 31-03-2006 05:06 PM

Cleaning and Pruning some Trees

On 30 Mar 2006 14:29:48 -0800, "Solomon_Man"
wrote:

All,
I have a few black walnut trees that need a minor pruning. Is there
anything that I should put over the cuts to protect the trees from
insect and such?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

No. Wound dressings are a money waste at best and cause problems at
worst. The only exceptions would be pruning oaks in oak wilt areas or
elms in DED areas, and wounds that are not pruning cuts (such as a
gash on the trunk or a limb that split off and tore). Even then, I'd
say the benefits are debateable. Oh, and some kind of dressing is
needed for grafts.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236AT