Old 31-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered User

Default im new here and need HUGE amounts of help

well i am new here and would like to find out some things,

in my biology class we are having a "competition" to see which group can grow the best plants with the largest wet mass.

now these plants, one has to live in basic soil and the other will be acidic soil.., i don't know that the the pH level of the soil yet but i have a couple plants in mind

BlueBerries (Acidic soil)
Azaleas (acidic soil)

if you can help me find out which can do better or if there are any other plants that will do well.., i'll inform you as to the pH level of the soil when we get it so hang tight

p.s-the plants will be grown in a greenhouse

Thanks

Jeff

Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

urbanbiker wrote:

well i am new here and would like to find out some things,

in my biology class we are having a "competition" to see which group
can grow the best plants with the largest wet mass.

now these plants, one has to live in basic soil and the other will be
acidic soil.., i don't know that the the pH level of the soil yet but i
have a couple plants in mind

BlueBerries (Acidic soil)
Azaleas (acidic soil)

if you can help me find out which can do better or if there are any
other plants that will do well.., i'll inform you as to the pH level of
the soil when we get it so hang tight

p.s-the plants will be grown in a greenhouse

Thanks

Jeff

If you can also count the fruit - how about zucchini or melons?

i dunno

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 AM
Registered User

well ok i think fruit will maybe count because if were allowed to use blueberries, but you never know right?

well i'll try and get more info and find out the pH level of the soil

Thanks so far
Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

well ok i think fruit will maybe count because if were allowed to use
blueberries, but you never know right?

How long is the experiment allowed to run?

Old 04-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Registered User

im presuming from abourt next couple weeks till the end of the semster ( may/june
Old 04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Registered User

I dont think we will be allowed to use tobacco..., and the wet mass is above ground ahaha
Old 05-04-2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

The fastest growing plant I have any experience with is tobacco, or its
flowering form, nicotiana. Petunias are also fast, and so are nasturtiums
but I think tobacco beats them. Oops, forget petunias. They grow fast but
they start off very tiny and take a long time to become even small.
Nasturtiums, on the other hand, have a large seed to start with. Can you
plant a coconut and count it, even if it doesn't sprout?

Tomatoes might equal tobacco in plant mass. Other people should have more
suggestions, particularly of vegetables, which I don't grow (except
tomatoes).

Old 05-04-2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
J.R. in MI

Andrew Ostrander wrote:
The fastest growing plant I have any experience with is tobacco, or its
flowering form, nicotiana. Petunias are also fast, and so are nasturtiums
but I think tobacco beats them. Oops, forget petunias. They grow fast but
they start off very tiny and take a long time to become even small.
Nasturtiums, on the other hand, have a large seed to start with. Can you
plant a coconut and count it, even if it doesn't sprout?

Swiss Chard or mustard come to mind for fast growing leafy plants. The
Swiss Chard is probably heavier. Is that what your looking for?

Old 08-04-2006, 05:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. in MI
Swiss Chard or mustard come to mind for fast growing leafy plants. The
Swiss Chard is probably heavier. Is that what your looking for?
well yeah its the general idea, but im not sure as to what the pH level of the soil will be. and ok any one know of a plant that will flourish in basic soil?

Old 11-04-2006, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
J.R. in MI

Both the chard and the mustard grow easily in "basic" soil. Pole beans
might be another good one.

[IMG] code is On

How to get rid of large amounts of couch grass? jayuk20 Lawns 6 16-08-2013 09:45 AM
Huge water storage vessel of use to anyone here ? Nick United Kingdom 4 05-11-2011 08:41 PM
Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
Huge new plant J.D. Stone Ponds 0 13-08-2004 12:20 AM
Huge new plant Cin1754 Ponds 0 13-08-2004 12:07 AM