Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Someone

Default Sweet Alyssum spacing?

I just planted some Alyssum seeds directly into the ground. According to the
packet, "plant spacing" is 8-10 in. Does this mean each seed should be
spaced 8-10 inches apart? Or should I just scatter them around? I felt
pretty ridiculous using toothpicks to plant these tiny, tiny little seeds.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Paul Below

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:44:22 -0500, "Someone"
wrote:

I just planted some Alyssum seeds directly into the ground. According to the
packet, "plant spacing" is 8-10 in. Does this mean each seed should be
spaced 8-10 inches apart? Or should I just scatter them around? I felt
pretty ridiculous using toothpicks to plant these tiny, tiny little seeds.

Just scatter them around. If you get more than you want, you can just
pull the extras out.

They do tend to spread out, and I've found they grow taller than it
says on the package (at least if they are in a fairly protected spot).

Old 08-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Someone

wrote:

I just planted some Alyssum seeds directly into the ground. According to

the
packet, "plant spacing" is 8-10 in. Does this mean each seed should be
spaced 8-10 inches apart? Or should I just scatter them around? I felt
pretty ridiculous using toothpicks to plant these tiny, tiny little

seeds.

Just scatter them around. If you get more than you want, you can just
pull the extras out.

They do tend to spread out, and I've found they grow taller than it
says on the package (at least if they are in a fairly protected spot).

Thanks. I'm using them as an annual around a bearded iris that probably
won't flower for a couple years. I hope they won't grow too tall and block
out the iris's sun!

Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Penny Morgan

You can scatter them all around and once they start to grow, just lift them
gently with a spoon and space them out. I do this every year with Genovese
Basil. They are so tiny and you don't always get all of them to sprout, so
it's easier to let them start and then move them once they are 1-2" tall.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 09-04-2003, 12:56 AM
spampot

wrote:

I just planted some Alyssum seeds directly into the ground. According to

the

packet, "plant spacing" is 8-10 in. Does this mean each seed should be
spaced 8-10 inches apart? Or should I just scatter them around? I felt
pretty ridiculous using toothpicks to plant these tiny, tiny little

seeds.

Just scatter them around. If you get more than you want, you can just
pull the extras out.

They do tend to spread out, and I've found they grow taller than it
says on the package (at least if they are in a fairly protected spot).

Thanks. I'm using them as an annual around a bearded iris that probably
won't flower for a couple years. I hope they won't grow too tall and block
out the iris's sun!

If anyone's ever seen alyssum that tall, I'd be very surprised.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Paul Below

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:20:24 -0500, "Someone"
wrote:

Thanks. I'm using them as an annual around a bearded iris that probably
won't flower for a couple years. I hope they won't grow too tall and block
out the iris's sun!

No, they won't get that tall.

If you want them as annuals, you may have to rip some out next year.
Mine always seed themselves.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Someone

wrote:

Thanks. I'm using them as an annual around a bearded iris that probably
won't flower for a couple years. I hope they won't grow too tall and

block
out the iris's sun!

No, they won't get that tall.

If you want them as annuals, you may have to rip some out next year.
Mine always seed themselves.

I guess that wouldn't be so bad. The iris is just getting started. It's only
12 in tall.

[IMG] code is On

Alyssum Kath United Kingdom 0 14-10-2010 07:38 PM
Lobularia Maritima - Sweet Alyssum 'Little Dorrit' 2 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2010 10:14 PM
Alyssum Lol[_4_] United Kingdom 2 08-05-2009 03:14 PM
Alyssum Tina Morris United Kingdom 0 02-06-2008 12:34 AM
Alyssum was Mini roses from NC nursery Susan H. Simko North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 06:08 PM