Old 19-08-2014, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

On 8/19/2014 2:35 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 4, 2006 8:18:12 PM UTC-4, Mama Bear wrote:
Someone was telling me that they can use a shredder-blower to shred
peat moss and spray a think layer of it all over your lawn after
putting down grass seed, then you water and it helps keep the
moisture in and start the seed so it doesn't dry out.

What do they call the blower that can do that and what do they
usually cost?

--
- Mama Bear

Mama Bear:

You can buy a leaf vacuum/blower at any big box store like Home Depot or Lowes, as well as many, many stores that sell gardening equipment. Many, perhaps most, use the fan blade to chop up leaves as well and are perfect for spreading peat moss. The ones I'm familiar with are electric and you should be able to find one for considerably less than $100, particularly if you wait for the fall sales. The cost of the bales of peat moss should be in the neighbourhood of +/- $25 per 1000 square feet. Go to the following YouTube link to see a video demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDkRcLrLzk

On another note, I sympathize with regard to people who ignore the simple straight-forward question you ask and instead clog the thread with irrelevant and unasked for advice, much of it simply wrong, which leaves you and others who might have come across your post in search of an simple answer to a simple question absolutely frustrated. People, if you can't answer the question that was asked of you here, BUZZ, for lack of the stronger word, OFF!!!!!

Why did you reply to a message that is more than 8 years old? Are you
sure the original poster -- Mama Bear -- is still alive?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 20-08-2014, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross said:

Why did you reply to a message that is more than 8 years old? Are you
sure the original poster -- Mama Bear -- is still alive?

I've had my news server occasionally burp up some very old posts and
replied to them without noticing the date.

How that happens, I do not know. But it does happen.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 23-09-2017, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Someone was telling me that they can use a shredder-blower to shred
peat moss and spray a think layer of it all over your lawn after
putting down grass seed, then you water and it helps keep the
moisture in and start the seed so it doesn't dry out.
What do they call the blower that can do that and what do they
usually cost?
- Mama Bear

I'll ask them and be right back - OK ?

Old 16-06-2018, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

replying to Warren, Phillip wrote:
Peat moss has been used for years to control take all patch diseases on
several turf species. A shreader would be helpful to get a fine powder
application for use on turf.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...awn-49355-.htm

Old 16-06-2018, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2018-06-16 03:44:03 +0000, Phillip said:

replying to Warren, Phillip wrote:
Peat moss has been used for years to control take all patch diseases on
several turf species. A shreader would be helpful to get a fine powder
application for use on turf.

It would be more advantageous, but more work (depending on how serious
you get about machinery), to sift the peat moss. Reducing it to powder
will render its moisture, nutrient and gas holding capacity
drastically. I sift a 2cf bale or two every spring using a simple
wooden shaker tray with a 1/4" mesh hardware cloth screen. I enjoy the
work but many would not. You can find instructions to build all kinds
of powered sifters on the internet.