Old 07-04-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
anasttin

Default Why won't my garden grow?

Thanks David. I'm in Victoria near Bacchus Marsh.

Water should be ok and soil was topsoil bought from a garden place.

I was planting peas, carrots, lettus, onions, corn, cucumber,
watermelon and similar stuff.

I tried planting in early summer, then late summer (which met
requirements on seed packets).

Soil moisture was sometimes dry and sometimes moist depending on the
weather when I watered.

Temperature varied from warm to hot (25 to 35 degrees celcius).

Wildlife is rabbits, birds and frogs but I fenced off for the former.

I haven't checked at night but dont see many snails and slugs.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help

Old 07-04-2006, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"anasttin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks David. I'm in Victoria near Bacchus Marsh.

In the Garden State then

Water should be ok and soil was topsoil bought from a garden place.

I was planting peas, carrots, lettus, onions, corn, cucumber,
watermelon and similar stuff

I tried planting in early summer, then late summer (which met
requirements on seed packets).

early summer (from mid spring actually) carrots, lettuce, corn, cucumber,
watermelon should be fine

about now for peas, onions, carrots

Soil moisture was sometimes dry and sometimes moist depending on the
weather when I watered.

If the top is moist don't water. If it is dry on top but moist down 4cm
only water seeds and seedlings. Especially during mid summer it is easy for
seeds and seedlings to dry out on a hot day and just kark on the spot.

Temperature varied from warm to hot (25 to 35 degrees celcius).

Wildlife is rabbits, birds and frogs but I fenced off for the former.

I haven't checked at night but dont see many snails and slugs.

Check at night. Also check for ants in the day if your seeds never seem to
sprout, they can steal all the smaller shallow seeds.

What do you think?

I don't see anything obvious but it could be a combination of problems. If
it was me I would suspect the fence is not herbivore proof. You might also
have hares, possums or roos which are harder to fence out than rabbits. Put
out some nice attractive herbage (kitchen scraps or old veges etc) and see
if it is taken over night, if so repeat and go out with a torch and see who
has come for dinner. As they say in the classics 'be vewy, vewy quiet' and
turn the torch on only at the last minute.

Maybe try some peas, these have a good strong seedling that is quite obvious
and not too fussy, you should be able to work out what is wrong if you watch
them carefully. You should see them break the surface after 8-12 days,
then uncurl the first leaves over the next few days, then they add more
leaves and start to develop tendrils, etc The point at which they stop and
the manner will tell you why they are failing.

And as I said ask the neighbours.

David

Old 19-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasttin
Thanks David. I'm in Victoria near Bacchus Marsh.

Water should be ok and soil was topsoil bought from a garden place.

I was planting peas, carrots, lettus, onions, corn, cucumber,
watermelon and similar stuff.

I tried planting in early summer, then late summer (which met
requirements on seed packets).

Soil moisture was sometimes dry and sometimes moist depending on the
weather when I watered.

Temperature varied from warm to hot (25 to 35 degrees celcius).

Wildlife is rabbits, birds and frogs but I fenced off for the former.

I haven't checked at night but dont see many snails and slugs.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help

You could try a conservatory?
We wanted to add a conservatory to our garden and wanted to be able to price it ourselves. We found a really useful website for conservatories, replacement windows and doors. They had clear instructions and prices online and the prices were very good so we opted to buy from them. It was an excellent product and was delivered on time.
Have a look at a href="http://www.doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk"Conservatories online,
replacement

windows and doors /a