Old 08-04-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom

Default prevent birds from eating plums & cherries?

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to prevent birds from eating my
fruit when they are ripe? Putting netting over the trees is out of the
question and artificial owls do not work. I put netting over my strawberry
patch and that helps. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ssTZf.885177$x96.651247@attbi_s72, "Tom"
wrote:

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to prevent birds from eating my
fruit when they are ripe? Putting netting over the trees is out of the
question and artificial owls do not work. I put netting over my strawberry
patch and that helps. Thanks for your help.

Consider Queen Anne cherries as they are yellow. I might be wrong
about that but if my memory serves me well this may be worth looking
into.

Good Luck!

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 08-04-2006, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

To control the birds feasting on my blueberries I planted a good amount
of catnip.
Half the stray cats in town hang out in my yard now but my harvests
have never been better.
Initially when I planted the first bushes I considered netting but for
the same price I was able to plant 6 more bushes. So we can all eat, me
, the birds, and occasionally the cats!

Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nicole

I've seen people take used CD's, glue 'em back to back so both sides are
shiny and hang 'em all over the tree.

I've always read to put a bird bath in your backyard. The birds are wanting
the moisture more than the fruit and the bird bath helps to deter 'em.
HTH

Old 08-04-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

wrote:

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to prevent birds from eating my
fruit when they are ripe? Putting netting over the trees is out of the
question and artificial owls do not work. I put netting over my strawberry
patch and that helps. Thanks for your help.

Consider Queen Anne cherries as they are yellow. I might be wrong
about that but if my memory serves me well this may be worth looking
into.

Sadly the birds love the Queen Annes too. And many of them
do shade a little red at the end. This past year I
managed to get about half of them, after a late start. I
left the rest for the following morning. When I came out,
there was not a cherry left.

Oddly birds don't seem to bother my plums, or my neighbor's
cherries (he has Queen Anne and dark red also) as much as
they do mine. Red, white, whatever.

I may try the CD thing this year. There's a fellow up the road
who does it, he always seems to have a big crop quite late on.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 09-04-2006, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Try ziplock bags. A bit unpractical with cherries, but you can cover clusters
with
them. Be sure to cut a slit at the bottom end to allow rain water to drain
out.

Sherwin D.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

wrote:

[...]

I do the "CD thing" for my peach tree and grapes. I drill a small hole
near the edge of unwanted CDs, thread kite string through the holes, and
hang the CDs from the tree, grape vines and nearby shrubs. The CDs hand
about 6-12 inches. This does seem to keep birds away from the fruit but
not raccoons and squirrels.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 11-04-2006, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nicole

Hubby's grandma used to kill a few birds and hang 'em up. No more problems
(according to her).
I can't imagine what a dead crow smells like in June when it's 100*. Yuck