Old 09-04-2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need xeric bush to shade full sun pond

I'm in charge of the full-sun side of our Denver back yard. I use most
of this area for growing chile, but I've put in some large areas of
gravel over fabric to lessen maintainance. In one of these areas I
would like to put in a small, 'natural' looking pond (we have friends
with a small gurgling fountain in their yard and the place is
practically a song bird convention center.) I wanted to put in a
chamisa with the pond to its north side; tucked in to the broken shade,
but my wife has nixed it because of the pollen bugging her.

Has anyone here done something like this? I need some suggestions on
something to use instead of a chamisa (which would probably get too big
anyway.) I'm working with a rectangular area about 13'-6" E-W and
12'-0" N-S. To the north is a garden plot of chile (24" high at
maturity) and a sidewalk to the garage runs along the south border,
beyond which is grass.

Thanks for any hints,

Old 11-04-2006, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

How about a manzanita or a ceanothus? There are nice small, low
growing cultivars. They like dry soil, but usually do fine near water.

Have a llok he
http://selectree.calpoly.edu/attribute_search.lasso : to see if this
search helps.

bahB

Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for that site!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
J.R. in MI

plants growing in the pond will also shade it, like cattails and lily
pads.

[IMG] code is On

Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Low perennials for 50sqft, full sun, poor drainage, deer-res.? Marc Stephenson Texas 11 09-06-2003 12:56 PM
Will Shasta Daisy grow in constantly wet sand/full sun? Kevin Miller Gardening 4 04-06-2003 12:32 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
I need a groundcover for full sun. Travis Gardening 6 14-04-2003 08:32 PM