Old 11-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Sunbury
Unhappy Pigeons

When i first got my garden a couple of years ago, i was delighted to have any bird visiting the garden, however now the pigeons have taken over, they eat all the birdseed, frighten off the other birds and only seem to visit my garden...All the other gardens near to me get all kinds of bird life but I just seem to be getting these big pesky pests...any help gratefully appreciated
Old 11-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Registered User

Smile

kathryn When i first got my garden a couple of years ago, i was delighted to have any bird visiting the garden, however now the pigeons have taken over, they eat all the birdseed, frighten off the other birds and only seem to visit my garden...All the other gardens near to me get all kinds of bird life but I just seem to be getting these big pesky pests...any help gratefully appreciated

kathryn for the smaller song birds u need the small bird feeders so that the pidgeons cant get at the seed. if u are just spreading the seed on the ground thats an open invitation to the pidgeons. maybe ask some of the neighbours and see what they are doing that is different from what u are doing maybe this might help solve your problem. good luck. cyaaa, sockiescat.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Pigeons

--
kathryn

Kathryn, that's like leaving bowls of M&Ms outside and then wondering why
there are fat people visiting your yard all the time. Take away the bird
seed for a while. Like, until late autumn.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
morninglori

Droll Yankee has a wonderful bird feeder, that has a ring around the
bottom. When any bird too big (or squirrel) tries to get on the bird
feeder, it spins the ring and the squirrel or birds get flung into the
shrubs. I got it for squirrels (which is very entertaining actually).
But it also works for pidgeons and grackles (which we have an
infestation of.

Also, putting out different kind of birdseed helps. If you put out
corn, you'll get pidgeons, mice, squirrels, etc. If you put out a blend
that doesn't have corn (but has sunflowers and thistles, you'll get
cardinals, jays, swallows and the smaller birds). If the pidgeons go
for the seed on the ground, I just open the door and let the dogs out.

[IMG] code is On

How to annoy the pigeons? Steve Harris United Kingdom 25 03-06-2018 07:37 AM
Wood pigeons K United Kingdom 18 05-02-2013 08:49 PM
Greedy Wood Pigeons Jupiter United Kingdom 28 13-05-2005 10:36 AM
Feed the birds - except pigeons! Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 13 11-02-2005 10:10 PM
Pigeons [email protected] United Kingdom 16 05-06-2003 09:19 AM