GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question on basil plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/142320-question-basil-plants.html)

higgledy 12-04-2006 09:23 PM

Question on basil plants

I was growing a couple of basil plants indoors for about a month and a
half. They were doing well: 2"-3" in height, very green. Then the
leaves got brownish-spots, they spot growing, and eventually the center
stalk near the soil-line became brown and dry. Is this dampening
disease?

I did have a fan blowing air to the sides, but not at the plants.

Doug Kanter 12-04-2006 09:37 PM

Question on basil plants

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was growing a couple of basil plants indoors for about a month and a
half. They were doing well: 2"-3" in height, very green. Then the
leaves got brownish-spots, they spot growing, and eventually the center
stalk near the soil-line became brown and dry. Is this dampening
disease?

I did have a fan blowing air to the sides, but not at the plants.

Damping off is the most likely culprit. In addition to lack of air
circulation, the condition is also promoted by cool temps and too much
moisture & humidity.

higgledy 13-04-2006 12:39 AM

Question on basil plants

I did have a fan indirectly blowing on the plants. The temp was about
65F.

Doug Kanter 13-04-2006 12:52 AM

Question on basil plants

"higgledy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I did have a fan indirectly blowing on the plants. The temp was about
65F.

There are not many other reasonable explanations for the problem. Start over
with more seeds.