GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Picking leaf lettuce??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/142460-picking-leaf-lettuce.html)

Randy 15-04-2006 05:09 PM

Picking leaf lettuce???

I am new to planting leaf lettuce. When do you start harvesting leaf
lettuce? How can you tell it is ready? Do you start by picking the
bottom leaves or the new tender leaves at the top?

James 15-04-2006 05:57 PM

Picking leaf lettuce???

"Randy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am new to planting leaf lettuce. When do you start harvesting leaf
lettuce? How can you tell it is ready? Do you start by picking the
bottom leaves or the new tender leaves at the top?

You take leaf lettuce when it's big enough and has not begun to toughen.
Leaf lettuce is pretty tender stuff. No need to be selective when you take
it. Cut it off at the base with a knife. I like the Black Seeded Simpson
myself.

Randy 15-04-2006 08:18 PM

Picking leaf lettuce???

I think I got Butternut, is it any different?

Tom 15-04-2006 09:14 PM

Picking leaf lettuce???

When you cut it off does it regenerate itself for successive cuttings? I
also have Buttcrunch.

"Randy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I got Butternut, is it any different?

James 15-04-2006 10:01 PM

Picking leaf lettuce???

"Tom" wrote in message
When you cut it off does it regenerate itself for successive cuttings? I
also have Buttcrunch.

"Randy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I got Butternut, is it any different?

I've never raised that one. It may be one of the Buttercrunch lettuces which
is not a true loose leaf.