GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Replacing an evergreen tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/142694-replacing-evergreen-tree.html)

Fr@nk 19-04-2006 11:28 PM

Replacing an evergreen tree

Hi. We've been in our house a little over 2 years, and it has a large
evergreen (douglas fir?) tree in the front corner, screening the corner of
our front porch. It does a good job of that, but it's just way overgrown,
width-wise. Trimming it won't work because: except for the outermost part of
the branches (where the needles are), the branches are pretty ugly and bare.
It's just kept growing and growing....it's got to be around 30 feet tall,
and maybe 20 feet wide at its widest at the bottom. It's really up pretty
tight on the porch now.

It's too big and we'd like to replace it with a more manageable evergreen.
We've had a couple of estimates on removal from two arborists...each said
it's a different type of tree. My question is, does anyone have any ideas on
how we should proceed? Tips on best evergreens for wind/screening? It's the
northwest corner of the house, and like I said, is the perfect place for a
screening/privacy tree. That's why we want an evergreen. Do we need a
landscape architect? Arborist? Or since the location is "tested" and good,
maybe just have it removed....then go to a nursery and pick something else
out....having them plant it? Thanks for any help.

Fr@nk

sand and sun 21-04-2006 02:36 AM

Replacing an evergreen tree

Hello Fr@nk
Have u visited the Arborday.org lately? They have an online quiz
http://www.arborday.org/trees/rightt...lace/shape.cfm to find a
right tree in the right place.
Hope this helps.
S.

Fr@nk 25-04-2006 01:55 AM

Replacing an evergreen tree

"sand and sun" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Fr@nk
Have u visited the Arborday.org lately? They have an online quiz
http://www.arborday.org/trees/rightt...lace/shape.cfm to find a
right tree in the right place.
Hope this helps.
S.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to research trimming/shearing the tree before
removing it. It's still healthy.

Fr@nk