GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato path what depht? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/142732-tomato-path-what-depht.html)

sand and sun 20-04-2006 07:03 PM

Tomato path what depht?

Hi,
How much depth would be enought to plant a tomato? Is 8" good enough?
Tks
S.

Lawrence Akutagawa 20-04-2006 10:29 PM

Tomato path what depht?

"sand and sun" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
How much depth would be enought to plant a tomato? Is 8" good enough?
Tks
S.

The good old rule of thumb when transplanting a tomato is to plant it such
that the soil is up to the lower leaves. In fact, I often strip off the
lowest two leaves and plant such that soil is up to the next set of leaves.
Reason is that the plant will develop roots along the now buried stem,
making for a sturdier and more robust plant.

[email protected] 20-04-2006 11:29 PM

Tomato path what depht?

sand and sun wrote:
Hi,
How much depth would be enought to plant a tomato? Is 8" good enough?
Tks
S.

In cooler climates you can plant using the trench method. IE - dig a
small trench, lay the plant sideways and cover up to to seed leaves, or
remove some of the lower leaves and increase the trench size. The
reason for the trench method is to develop a better root system since
the plant is closer to the (warmer) surface. I've tried it both
ways(Zone 5b), no noticible difference in tomato production.