GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ants in Japanese maple (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/142863-ants-japanese-maple.html)

HH 22-04-2006 07:30 PM

Ants in Japanese maple

I have a Japanese maple that I have shaped as an outdoor bonsai that has
lots of ants in it. They are clustered at the extremities in the new growth,
much like aphids on new rose buds. Are they harmful to the plant? I can
detect no damage, but then I just noticed them yesterday.

HH

Lar 22-04-2006 08:24 PM

Ants in Japanese maple

In article ,
says...
:) I have a Japanese maple that I have shaped as an outdoor bonsai that has
:) lots of ants in it. They are clustered at the extremities in the new growth,
:) much like aphids on new rose buds. Are they harmful to the plant? I can
:) detect no damage, but then I just noticed them yesterday.
:)
:) HH
:)
:)
:)
They might be hiding aphid activity with their numbers...not harmful,
just an indication something is going on to attact them such as honey
dew from other insects to "sap" from the tree itself (can't recall if J
maples have sap issues)

Plant Info 22-04-2006 11:46 PM

Ants in Japanese maple

Ants don't feed on plants, so it could be that there were or are aphids on
the new growth and that's why the ants are there, filling up on the
honeydew -- a nice name for the sticky excrement of the aphids --left by the
ants.

Suzy, Wisconsin, Zone 5
. ..

Lar 23-04-2006 01:27 AM

Ants in Japanese maple

In article ,
says...
:) Ants don't feed on plants, so it could be that there were or are aphids
:)
Technically they don't feed on plants, but some ants do extreme damage
to plants. (not in OPs situation)
http://citybugs.tamu.edu/FastSheets/Ent-1029.html

HH 23-04-2006 02:05 AM

Ants in Japanese maple

My thanks for all the replies. I had another look and found ladybugs on the
Japanese maple. On closer examination, I also found aphids, so the replies
were right on target. My local gardening guru, who happened to drop by,
confirmed the diagnosis. She explained the symbiotic relationship between
aphids and ants. I will wash the lot off with water. Tomorrow I will release
a bag of ladybugs and apply a nontoxic spray.

HH

. ..

Lar 23-04-2006 05:00 AM

Ants in Japanese maple

In article ,
says...
:) aphids and ants. I will wash the lot off with water. Tomorrow I will release
:) a bag of ladybugs and apply a nontoxic spray.
:)
:)
:)
hmmm assuming you mean a spray that is non(low)toxic to people, but
toxic to the aphids? you probably don't want to apply the insecticide
after you release ladybugs for it will effect them too.

HH 23-04-2006 06:17 AM

Ants in Japanese maple

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
:) aphids and ants. I will wash the lot off with water. Tomorrow I will
release
:) a bag of ladybugs and apply a nontoxic spray.
:)
:)
:)
hmmm assuming you mean a spray that is non(low)toxic to people, but
toxic to the aphids? you probably don't want to apply the insecticide
after you release ladybugs for it will effect them too.

Thanks for that caution. The spray was recommended by the said gardening
guru who knows a lot more about gardening than I. I will confer with her
about the spray and read the label carefully. If any doubt remains, I will
rely on the ladybugs and praying mantis, if necessary supplemented by the
water spray.

HH