Old 09-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Penny S.

Default good companion for poppies?

They look wonderful for a while, but we all know that they look icky once
they are done blooming ( big oriental poppies) Any ideas for what to plant
around them to disguise them? I"m in USDA zone 3 ( eastern WA)

thanks

penny s

Old 09-04-2003, 06:32 AM
gregpresley

You can seed in some quick growing annuals - like alyssum, bachelor buttons,
etc, to just at the outskirts of the poppy plants. They will start to have
significant foliage about the time that the poppy is losing its pizazz.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Penny S."
wrote:

They look wonderful for a while, but we all know that they look icky once
they are done blooming ( big oriental poppies) Any ideas for what to plant
around them to disguise them? I"m in USDA zone 3 ( eastern WA)

thanks

penny s

I don't know about disguising, but white daisies look *great* interplanted
with poppies. One of our neighbors planted a long hedge along one of his
property lines with white daisies and red poppies. It's just *gorgeous.*

Jan
zone 3 (alaska)
Old 10-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Julia Altshuler

I've wondered about this too. Each year I get compliments from neighbors I've
scarcely met on my poppies. I'm not much of a gardener, but I bought the roots
from White Flower Farm, stuck them in the ground and have never had a problem
with them. They keep blooming magnificently. Then the flowers go away, and I
don't have anything else with which to impress the neighbors.

--Lia

Old 10-04-2003, 03:44 AM
animaux

In one of the beds I have, there is the sweet alyssum in winter. Soon after,
the Texas bluebonnets come up among the white alyssum. A month down, the
native poppies come up through this all and it's red, white and blue. Under it
all, the echinacea are coming up and about when the poppies are setting seed and
melting in the heat along with the bluebonnets and alyssum, the echinacea starts
to bloom. I have both white and purple echinacea. A most carefree part of the
garden.

"Penny S." wrote:

They look wonderful for a while, but we all know that they look icky once
they are done blooming ( big oriental poppies) Any ideas for what to plant
around them to disguise them? I"m in USDA zone 3 ( eastern WA)

thanks

penny s

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Companion plant - clarification Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 31-10-2003 10:12 PM
Looking for a Companion Planting Reference guide Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
NOT companion planting Julie Gardening 1 04-04-2003 05:08 AM
companion plant Kumar Varadan Roses 2 21-03-2003 09:44 PM