GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Which Ragweed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/143157-ragweed.html)

Ron Hardin 28-04-2006 01:51 PM

Which Ragweed?

Is this a ragweed, and which one (or what, if not a ragweed)?

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w33.jpg (26th) Weed unknown 33
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w33a.jpg (27th) Weed unknown 33a
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w33b.jpg (27th) Weed unknown 33b

The lawn owner is likely to chop them down so I have to photograph
early

The flower matches ragweeds but the leaf does not, in Newcomb's
Wildflower Guide. He seems to rely on the basil (bottom) leaf
to distinguish the ragweeds, but as far as I can tell the basil
leaf is the same as all the other ones.

Stalk seems to come up red, and turns green, anyway the bottom
of some is red and others have only remaining red streaks.

Hefty stalk, it looks like they grow big.

--
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin 28-04-2006 01:56 PM

Which Ragwort [was Which Ragweed?]