Old 01-05-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
jennifer muise

Default What don't white grubs like to eat?

So, I've got white grubs again this year. Not as bad as last year, but a
significant amount. Last year I applied some End All (sorry, I don't
remember what it's made from) and it seemed to work so I didn't bother with
the nematodes.

The area that's particularly bad is in the D-shaped "island" in the middle
of my circular drive. The grass is beginning to come back but I am
wondering whether I should bother re-seeding the grass this year again, or
if planting something more decorative and easier to maintain would pay off.
Whatever I put would have to be low-profile, since both the city and the
driveway service love to pile dirty snow and ice there during the winter,
which might break some taller ornamentals. This area is also more difficult
to water, so I'd probably put some succulents like sedum, Hens and Chicks,
etc.

Has anyone had success putting plants in such an area? I'd hate to go to a
lot of trouble just to feed these d*mn grubs.

Thanks in advance,
JLM

Old 02-05-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

hey jen,

i recently saw an area similar to yours that looked great with some
tall ornamental grasses, creepers, and rocks. the area was built up to
a small mound with a few rocks jutting out and a couple mungy pine in
the center. the ground cover filled in nicely and kept many of the
weeds out. low maintenance and nice looking.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
jennifer muise

It sounds nice. Low maintenance is the key. But I'm not interested in
planting anything that the white grubs are going to find delicious this year
or next.

Any ideas on what will survive?

Jen

oups.com...

Old 08-05-2006, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
ricks555

you won't have a problem with grubs if you switch to plants, shrubs,
landscape and mulch. white grubs are larvae of june beetles and
japanese beetles which look for moist, warm lawns to lay their eggs so
with this type of landscape, they'll find another place to bear
offspring.