GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Common Grape Hyacinth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/143467-common-grape-hyacinth.html)

higgledy 04-05-2006 02:51 AM

Common Grape Hyacinth

I have an beautiful patch of grape hyacinths. Do I cut back the leaves
like your do with tulips or daffidils?

Doug Kanter 04-05-2006 03:06 AM

Common Grape Hyacinth

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an beautiful patch of grape hyacinths. Do I cut back the leaves
like your do with tulips or daffidils?

Yes - after they're yellowed & ugly. If you can't stand the ugliness, plant
some bushy annuals in front of them.

higgledy 04-05-2006 03:26 AM

Common Grape Hyacinth

Thanks. When can I dig them up and split them?

Doug Kanter 04-05-2006 03:32 AM

Common Grape Hyacinth

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks. When can I dig them up and split them?

There's no need to do that. They'll spread on their own. They know what
they're doing. If you want more, buy more in September.

Roan Martin 05-05-2006 04:15 PM

Common Grape Hyacinth

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks. When can I dig them up and split them?

I do that when the leaves turn yellow and start to die down. I've also
moved shovel fulls before that and all lived, but they weren't divided.
Clumps were moved from one part of the yard to another.

David E. Ross 05-05-2006 11:12 PM

Common Grape Hyacinth

higgledy wrote:
Thanks. When can I dig them up and split them?

Be very careful. Newly formed bulbs can be quite small. They are
easily dropped and scattered into areas where you don't want them.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/

Tom Randy 06-05-2006 08:59 PM

Common Grape Hyacinth

On 2006-05-03 21:51:27 -0400, "higgledy" said:

I have an beautiful patch of grape hyacinths. Do I cut back the leaves
like your do with tulips or daffidils?

NO! Leave them alone!

And you never cut leaves off of tulips and daffs.

If you mean flower stalks then yes you can cut those off.