Old 09-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Heather

Default Grubs

I noticed grubs in our lawn and garden last year. What is the best way to
get rid of these without hiring the professionals. I live in Toronto Canada
and we are covered by snow right now but want to get a start to solving the
problem once it's gone if possible.

Heather

Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
len

"Heather" wrote in message
I noticed grubs in our lawn and garden last year. What is the best way to
get rid of these without hiring the professionals. I live in Toronto

Canada
and we are covered by snow right now but want to get a start to solving

the
problem once it's gone if possible.

Heather

Milky spore bacteria, it takes acouple of years to work, but it is grub
specific, and non toxic to other things, and is damn near permanent. Len

Old 10-04-2003, 03:56 AM
John S. DeBoo

Heather wrote:

I noticed grubs in our lawn and garden last year. What is the best way to
get rid of these without hiring the professionals. I live in Toronto Canada
and we are covered by snow right now but want to get a start to solving the
problem once it's gone if possible.

WE had them in our lawn in Albuquerque and I used Diazinon. After dilutinbg with
water and spreading with a hose sprayer you need to water profusely so it soaks
down intot he soil where these miserable critters live. I've yet to find a grub
in our lawn since and we treated ours maybe 10 years ago. Thats my experience
anyway.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 10-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Heather

Never heard of this stuff before....Is this something that you can get at
the store? like Home Depot, Canadian Tire, or local Garden Center or
something like that? Does it harm the flowers in a flower bed? My grass
buts up against some fairly new planting beds in the front and backyards and
would hate to kill off all the planting I did last year.

Thanks for your advice
Heather
Zone 6 - Toronto, Canada

Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Ian

Heather,

Ian here in Brampton, another part of the GTA that has the grub infestation.

A word of advice: I don't know if it was Diazinon I used, but I bought some
grub killer chemical at Home Depot a few years ago, applied it to my lawn as
the directions instructed, and it did indeed kill the grubs. Also killed the
mourning doves, a few starlings, and a robin.

I now hire the pros to apply my grub insecticides, their mixture is safer
(or less toxic anyhow) for animals and humans than some of the stuff you can
buy at HD. I leave it to the professionals to mess with the chemicals now.

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Old 10-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Heather

Ian - Thanks for your advice.....Small World I live in Brampton also!!! I
am very worried about the chemicals that both the professionals use and also
what is available at the Home Depot and other stores for just that reason.
I have a small dog and lots of birds in the area. Ceratinly don't want to
be killing any of them just for the grubs. Another guy suggested the Milky
Spot and from what I can see from some quick research on the net it looks as
though it is non-toxic and will take the grubs away. I may give that a try
and see where it goes.
Thanks again,

Heather

.rogers.com...

Old 10-04-2003, 11:44 PM
len

"Heather" wrote in message
Ian - Thanks for your advice.....Small World I live in Brampton also!!! I
am very worried about the chemicals that both the professionals use and

also
what is available at the Home Depot and other stores for just that reason.
I have a small dog and lots of birds in the area. Ceratinly don't want to
be killing any of them just for the grubs. Another guy suggested the

Milky
Spot and from what I can see from some quick research on the net it looks

as
though it is non-toxic and will take the grubs away. I may give that a

try
and see where it goes.
Thanks again,

Heather

Thanks for your advice

Once again, Milky Spore bacteria, it only kills beetle grubs, nothing else.
It takes a couple of years to be totally effective, but works for decades.
So you won't be spreading a broad spectrum insecticide( read kills
everything),every year, like the previous poster. Diazinon a serious poison,
that probably should have never have been made available to the general
public. I think it is going the way of choridane, that is outlawed Len.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Purchgdss

Once again, Milky Spore bacteria, it only kills beetle grubs, nothing else.

I put Milky Spore down just last year after YEARS of being invaded by these
pests. I live in the sunny (and japanese beetle heaven) of Charlotte, NC. As
of today I have found a total of 2 (yes two) grubs whom I quickly dispatched.
This from a yard where I dug up 1/2 the back yard to kill these suckers and
then gave up over sheer quantity.

The BONUS is that it IS a biological control and so does NOT kill my
earthworms, birds, PETS or anything other desireables. I don't have to worry
about my son playing in the yard and washing his hands. There are no cancer or
poison warnings on milky spore or green lace wings or lady bugs.

Where ever possible BIO is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine
Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 AM
John S. DeBoo

Yes, Diazinon can be purchased at probably any place that carries bug killers
etc, certainly at Home Depot etc. For lawn control you'll mix several
tablespoons (read directions carefully) with water in a garden hose sprayer, then
spray that diluted mixture (which gets diluted even more since its now mixing
with the water in the hose) all over the lawn and water profusely. Diazinon is
strong stuff and depending upon the mixture (dilution) used can be used for all
manner of bug control. I hate using chemicles myself but sometimes they really
do the trick.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 AM
John S. DeBoo

Was it in liquid form or tiny pellets? Diazinon is available in both for grubs
but I'd never use the granular type for exactly the reasons you state. Liquid
with heavy watering after goes way down into the ground. We never noted a
decrease in the bird etc population nor any dead ones from it in our yard.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 AM
John S. DeBoo

FWIW, we have 2 dogs too and it never bothered them in the least. In fact I use
it to spray around the house exterior and it doesn't seem to bother them. I
definately do not let them get near it while its wet though.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:33:59 -0600, "John S. DeBoo"
wrote:

we have 2 dogs too and it never bothered them in the least.

Now there's a reliable obcervation....NOT

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson
Old 11-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:31:05 -0600, "John S. DeBoo"
wrote:

We never noted a
decrease in the bird etc population nor any dead ones from it in our yard.

On the basis of your limited experience we should also kill our soil
and pollute or homes?

Old 11-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Cryptic Cal

wrote:

we have 2 dogs too and it never bothered them in the least.

Now there's a reliable obcervation....NOT

It is well known that dogs are totally resistant to the Marphistes
virus, which is spread by many types of grubs. The Marphistes mite
mates in the summer and in the fall the female lays her eggs in the
ground where they are washed deep underground by fall rains. The virus
spreads from the larvae to all living organisms underground, especially
to the larvae of the green june beetle, the japanese beetle and the mole
cricket. The virus enters the larvae through the middle of their raster
patterns (and you know what that means!!!). From there, the Marphistes
virus is carried throughout the entire world, except to members of the
canine community, because they were given original immunity by Noah,
back when he was captain of the Ark. I know this sounds fishy, but I
swear by Saddam's moustache that it's the truth!

Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 AM
animaux

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:28:56 GMT, "len" wrote:

Once again, Milky Spore bacteria, it only kills beetle grubs, nothing else.
It takes a couple of years to be totally effective, but works for decades.
So you won't be spreading a broad spectrum insecticide( read kills
everything),every year, like the previous poster. Diazinon a serious poison,
that probably should have never have been made available to the general
public. I think it is going the way of choridane, that is outlawed Len.

Diazinon is being phased out and will no longer be on the shelves of any
commercial store. They may still have it in use for pro's, but it is so toxic
and persistent it was removed from the market and will be fully phased out next
year.

[IMG] code is On

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
How do I fight grubs naturally? Rupert Gardening 10 21-04-2003 02:44 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM