GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cactus and Weeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/143580-cactus-weeds.html)

Beverly 05-05-2006 11:29 PM

Cactus and Weeds

Hi,
We recently put some cactus in a rock landscaped yard and they are doing
quite well. The problem is that there are weeds coming up and I am not sure
if there is some type of weed control that won't disturb the cactus.
Possible something organic?
Thank you,
Beverly

Phisherman 06-05-2006 03:34 AM

Cactus and Weeds

On Fri, 5 May 2006 15:29:37 -0700, "Beverly"
wrote:

Hi,
We recently put some cactus in a rock landscaped yard and they are doing
quite well. The problem is that there are weeds coming up and I am not sure
if there is some type of weed control that won't disturb the cactus.
Possible something organic?
Thank you,
Beverly

My personal method is to pull out the weeds by hand after a soaking
rain. My second choice is to use a hoe. You could make a shroud from
an empty plastic gallon jug, surround the weed, and spray it with
RoundUp.

raycruzer 06-05-2006 10:34 PM

Cactus and Weeds

I have also used my weed twister to pull out weeds lodged between
thorny cacti and other plants. The weed twister from Ergonica has a
coil width of about 2 inches. This allows for more precise weeding
than with other tools such as hoes with wider blades. There are also a
few other tools for weeding with precise dimensions.

tenacity 07-05-2006 04:38 PM

Cactus and Weeds

Yup. In my experience (Phoenix, 10a) there's nothing for it but pullin
'em up. Eventally they won't come back, but it takes a little patience.