GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Holes in Spinach leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/143704-holes-spinach-leaves.html)

AndyS 08-05-2006 08:38 PM

Holes in Spinach leaves

Andy writes:

In my garden, I have a row of spinach that has holes in the leaves,
like small
bugs or something are eating them , and the spinach is not doing well.

I also have lettuce, which is perfectly healthy with no holes,
radishes with
greens that have no holes, and turnips -- no holes in the greens.....
Also cantalope is vining out, and the leaves are OK there too.

Just the spinach has problems.....

So does anyone have a suggestion as to what likes to eat spinach but
not other green, leafy stuff ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

( Please don't say I have Popeye bugs :)))) )

Myrl Jeffcoat 08-05-2006 09:56 PM

Holes in Spinach leaves

Sounds like earwigs. . .But it could be Popeye bugs;-)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Doug Kanter 08-05-2006 10:05 PM

Holes in Spinach leaves

Could be slugs, too. As to why they're not attacking other leafy things, is
your mulch different around various plants? Mulch is a quandary. You need it
to keep the soil moist, but the slugs love living under it, too. Finally,
the slugs may have your other stuff on their shopping list next. :-(

oups.com...

Dave Balderstone 10-05-2006 02:54 AM

Holes in Spinach leaves

In article .com,
AndyS wrote:

So does anyone have a suggestion as to what likes to eat spinach but
not other green, leafy stuff ?

Flea beetles

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...tle&btnG=Searc