GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   distorted leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/143722-distorted-leaves.html)

Carl 1 Lucky Texan 08-05-2006 11:30 PM

distorted leaves

Pepper plants in large pots AND brugs in the ground elsewhere, all in my
backyard, have new growth that is assymetrical, small, distorted, as if
the very young leaf-let is being damaged when it emerges or is somehow
malformed.

any ideas or is there more data I should try to collect?

carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Jim Shaffer 09-05-2006 03:23 AM

distorted leaves

On Mon, 08 May 2006 22:30:31 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan
wrote:

Pepper plants in large pots AND brugs in the ground elsewhere, all in my
backyard, have new growth that is assymetrical, small, distorted, as if
the very young leaf-let is being damaged when it emerges or is somehow
malformed.

Sounds like cyclamen mites, although I don't know if they attack
either of those plants.

Carl 1 Lucky Texan 09-05-2006 12:35 PM

distorted leaves

wrote:

Pepper plants in large pots AND brugs in the ground elsewhere, all in my
backyard, have new growth that is assymetrical, small, distorted, as if
the very young leaf-let is being damaged when it emerges or is somehow
malformed.

Sounds like cyclamen mites, although I don't know if they attack
either of those plants.

Thanx for responding! A little googling (the new term for 'research')
leads me to believe it could be a mosaic virus likely transmitted by
aphids. Seems viruses can overwinter in some host plants then be
transfered to other plants in the spring. Well, they list Jimson weed as
a host, it is a Datura, and related to Brugmansia. So I fear mt Brugs
were hosting the virus and now the peppers have been infected. I dunno
if there is any treatment other that destroying everything though. Plus,
we'd like to eat the peppers so it limits my treatment options to no/low
toxicity stuff.

sigh

Carl

--