GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   (Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/143780-wild-flowe-id-central-ohio.html)

Ron Hardin 09-05-2006 11:07 PM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

Found in weed-like location, possibly an escaped garden flower?

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w46.jpg

Central Ohio, a ball of 6-petalled blue flowers, grass-like basil leaves

Some hyacinth? (The bane of bicycling wildflower catalogers)

[The year's weed catch so far http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/weed.html ]

--
Ron Hardin

Sue Burnham 09-05-2006 11:30 PM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Found in weed-like location, possibly an escaped garden flower?

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w46.jpg

Central Ohio, a ball of 6-petalled blue flowers, grass-like basil leaves

Some hyacinth? (The bane of bicycling wildflower catalogers)

Looks like an Allium, Ron. Smell garlic/ onion/shallot when you crush a
leaf?

Sue
Western Maine

Dieter Pietryka 10-05-2006 12:11 AM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

Looks like Allium aflatunense Purple sensation AKA Persian
onion, ornamental onion

Dieter

Ron Hardin 10-05-2006 12:49 AM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

Dieter Pietryka wrote:

Looks like Allium aflatunense Purple sensation AKA Persian
onion, ornamental onion

Dieter

Thanks, all. I can update the catalog with the ID.

--
Ron Hardin

[email protected] 10-05-2006 05:47 PM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

I have the same in my leek garden...yes Allium

LavenderBee 10-05-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Hardin
Found in weed-like location, possibly an escaped garden flower?

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w46.jpg

Central Ohio, a ball of 6-petalled blue flowers, grass-like basil leaves

Here is another possibility: Agapanthus
Here is a link to the Google image search for it...
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...&sa=N& tab=wi

If the link doesn't work just go to Google, click images and type in agapanthus

It is a common garden plant around these parts, (Victoria, BC, Canada) and is somewhat weedy, thriving on neglect. Thankfully it is easy to rid of, just dig up the rhizomes - it is a perennial though so check again next year to see that you got it all. If its been around for a years you can expect to see big clumps up to ten feet across so it may take a bit of digging.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 10-05-2006 09:01 PM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

In message , Ron Hardin
writes
Dieter Pietryka wrote:

Looks like Allium aflatunense Purple sensation AKA Persian
onion, ornamental onion

Dieter

Thanks, all. I can update the catalog with the ID.

If I recall correctly Allium aflatunense isn't the only Allium with
globular heads of purple flowers.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Plant Info 14-05-2006 08:37 PM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

Looks like something in the onion family, allium.

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Plant Info 18-05-2006 01:09 AM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

Definitely something in the allium (onion) family. Aside from that, ????

Suzy, Wisconsin, Zone 5

Plant Info 21-05-2006 02:47 AM

(Wild?)flowe ID? Central Ohio

Definitely something in the onion (allium) family.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin