GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Too late to plant new shrubs? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/143940-too-late-plant-new-shrubs.html)

Mac Cool 12-05-2006 03:07 PM

Too late to plant new shrubs?

I want to rip out my old nasty foundation plantings and put in new
plantings. Is it too late in the spring to plant new shrubs?

I would like some plantings with larger leaves, I don't care for the box
elder variants I have. Anyone have recommendations for foundation plants,
low maintenance, partial sun, Raleigh, NC area?

Thanks.

Last thing, here is a rough sketch of our plantings if anyone could give
me some advice on what to plant and where.
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...ndscape5dy.gif

--
Mac Cool

Merle O'Broham 12-05-2006 05:48 PM

Too late to plant new shrubs?

Plant away! The sooner the better. The safest time is when shrubs are
dormant, but you can do it just about *any* time as long as it's done
carefully and properly. Lots of choices can work for you. Nice Windows
Paint work! If your home is an older one, you can choose plants popular
to that time period i.e. yews, spruce, hostas, etc. for older homes,
arborvitae and spirea for newer. Not a rule, just a suggestion. See
what the neighbors have as well. That could be very helpful. Just keep
in mind the mature height of plants, not what they look like in the
Home Depot 1 gallon containers. Good luck. :-)

Mac Cool 12-05-2006 11:59 PM

Too late to plant new shrubs?

thanks.
--