GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   when to transplant lilacs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/144025-when-transplant-lilacs.html)

[email protected] 14-05-2006 12:39 AM

when to transplant lilacs

I have two lilac (syringa) bushes down by my creek. They have suckers
coming out of the bottom and they are leafing as well as the main bush
is blooming. When is the best time to remove the suckers so I can use
them for transplants?

Pennyaline 14-05-2006 02:08 AM

when to transplant lilacs

wrote:
I have two lilac (syringa) bushes down by my creek. They have suckers
coming out of the bottom and they are leafing as well as the main bush
is blooming. When is the best time to remove the suckers so I can use
them for transplants?

Is there any question of the lilacs being grafted? If there is, don't
use the suckers for transplanting. If you want more lilacs from that
particular bush, take cuttings from soft branches after bloom time is over.

what are the chances of finding lovingly grafted plants in the dark
dark woods? my grandfather threw some lilac bushes he had dug up into a
ravine, and they took root there--the blooms on the branches were
pink/purple and lovely, while what grew from the suckers were blue and
scraggly