Old 23-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Felling a Large tree: Costs.

Hello. I am new round here. I have a fairly small garden (around 60feet).My Silver Birch is now around 8metres high and it's thirst for water has been creating cracks in my neighbour's wall which stands 2feet from it. The coucil have given me permission to have it felled. It will have to be done bit by bit ,of course. Does anyone have a very rough idea of how much an average Insured tree-feller might charge for this type of work? Unfortunately, I have no idea at all. Here's hoping and thanks.
Old 24-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildew
Hello. I am new round here. I have a fairly small garden (around 60feet).My Silver Birch is now around 8metres high and it's thirst for water has been creating cracks in my neighbour's wall which stands 2feet from it. The coucil have given me permission to have it felled. It will have to be done bit by bit ,of course. Does anyone have a very rough idea of how much an average Insured tree-feller might charge for this type of work? Unfortunately, I have no idea at all. Here's hoping and thanks.
About 12 months ago I had a large Ash tree removed from the bottom of my garden,it was a bit of a monster. But it only took two men one day, One cutting and the other removing and burning the branches.The cost including cleaning up the garden came to £150.00.considering the size of the tree i was more than happy.
Old 24-05-2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default Felling a Large tree: Costs.

On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:37:46 +0000, Mildew
wrote:

Hello. I am new round here. I have a fairly small garden (around
60feet).My Silver Birch is now around 8metres high and it's thirst for
water has been creating cracks in my neighbour's wall which stands
2feet from it. The coucil have given me permission to have it felled.
It will have to be done bit by bit ,of course. Does anyone have a very
rough idea of how much an average Insured tree-feller might charge for
this type of work? Unfortunately, I have no idea at all. Here's hoping
and thanks.

Variables include:
tree size (diameter of trunk and spread of crown as well as height)
tree condition (healthy/safe to climb or decaying and scary?)
obstacles (glass greenhouse? immoveable 18th century stone carvings?
terra cotta tile roof?)
access (drop branches into the chipper, or snake individual armloads
through seven gates up a 30 degree slope?)

It's impossible to offer a price without seeing the site. It sounds
fairly small and simple, and might be a half-day job if you can find
an arborist willing to break a day in half. In TX, I'd want at least
$300 to $400 for such a job on average, but I have no idea what the
going rate is for similar in UK. An easy flopper might go cheaper,
and a real pain might cost more.

Old 24-05-2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Here in California (Sacramento), prices can vary significantly. I
strongly suggest getting several bids.

I'm envious of the prices mentioned by the other posters from Texas,
etc. I just had mistletoe removed from a couple of trees a few months
ago, and it was $325.00. Tree removal for a mature average sized tree
runs anywhere from $600 - $1000+. depending on the bid!

About 4 years ago, I had three very tall palm trees taken out of my
yard. . .I thought I got a bargain @ $1,200. for the removal. However,
the workers weren't reliable. They started the job, left it, came back
in 2 weeks, etc. I was a basket case, when the job was completed. But
the next nearest bid was double the $1,200. for the three trees.

Tree removal, especially if they pose a danger during removal of
hitting your house, or that of a neighbors, power lines, or any other
structure, automobiles, etc. need to be handled by licensed, insured
and bonded individuals. You don't want something catastrophic
happening during the process, that no one is going to be able/or be
willing to take responsibility for.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 24-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmjimm
About 12 months ago I had a large Ash tree removed from the bottom of my garden,it was a bit of a monster.
Many thanks for that, Grimmjimm. That is not as bad as I expected. I use Logs in winter so I will keep them.

Old 24-05-2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Mildew

Its hard to determine with out an examination. Many variables must be
included in the price. Are you keeping the chips - wood? Please note that
fresh chips should not be used for about a year until the parenchyma cell
contents die. Than they are fine if applied "correctly".

Without seeing the tree. I would bid $1000.00. There is no way I would
except the job without seeing the tree first.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

--
Mildew

Old 25-05-2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Tree removal, especially if they pose a danger during removal of
hitting your house, or that of a neighbors, power lines, or any other
structure, automobiles, etc. need to be handled by licensed, insured
and bonded individuals. You don't want something catastrophic
happening during the process, that no one is going to be able/or be
willing to take responsibility for.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

I agree with regards to trees and their associates and credentials. People
who make mandates regarding forest health and are ignorant to tree biology
need to be stopped. Example Senator Rick Santorum from PA (USA) would not
even define his definition of a forest in writing let along does he have the
ability to make sound decisions on trees and their associates. The only
reason people such as Santorum get away with this bizarre behavior is that
no body stops him! Would you allow him to make decisions on your trees and
associates at your house? Would you go to a doctor who flunked atomy??? We
need premed when it comes to making decisions such as mandate on forest
health. In fact the goal of the USFS in the Allegheny National Forest (tree
farm) is to increase the cut from 20.7 Million Board Feet too 56.3 MBF.
Like they were not cutting enough wood out all ready. They only problem
they claim to have is getting the wood out fast enough?

Old 26-05-2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

On 23 May 2006 20:33:12 -0700, "Myrl Jeffcoat"
wrote:

Here in California (Sacramento), prices can vary significantly. I
strongly suggest getting several bids.

I'm envious of the prices mentioned by the other posters from Texas,
etc. I just had mistletoe removed from a couple of trees a few months
ago, and it was $325.00. Tree removal for a mature average sized tree
runs anywhere from $600 - $1000+. depending on the bid!

About 4 years ago, I had three very tall palm trees taken out of my
yard. . .I thought I got a bargain @ $1,200. for the removal. However,
the workers weren't reliable. They started the job, left it, came back
in 2 weeks, etc. I was a basket case, when the job was completed. But
the next nearest bid was double the $1,200. for the three trees.

Well, remember, this tree is described as 8 meters tall--assuming
normal growth, that's probably less than a foot in diameter. Not that
big a job. I've done many removals that cost well above $600, and
have bid them as high as $2000-3000. I usually hear back that
"someone" has agreed to do it for a few hundred bucks, which makes me
shudder with fear, but maybe they get lucky, who knows?