GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rotting roots? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/145439-rotting-roots.html)

[email protected] 25-05-2006 11:37 AM

Rotting roots?

I apologise if this is not the correct place to ask this question but I
couldn't find a group for house plants.
I have a lucky bamboo plant growing in water. There is some sort of
green looking gung surrounding the roots. Could anyone tell me what
this is, if it is a danger to the plant and how I can safely remove it
if it is likely to effect its health.

Thanks.

Phisherman 25-05-2006 02:01 PM

Rotting roots?

On 25 May 2006 03:37:50 -0700, wrote:

I apologise if this is not the correct place to ask this question but I
couldn't find a group for house plants.
I have a lucky bamboo plant growing in water. There is some sort of
green looking gung surrounding the roots. Could anyone tell me what
this is, if it is a danger to the plant and how I can safely remove it
if it is likely to effect its health.

Thanks.

I could not possibly guess what is in the roots. Why not remove the
plant, rinse it off, clean the container? I suggest using rainwater,
no fertilizers.

sockiescat 25-05-2006 03:11 PM

Phisherman On 25 May 2006 03:37:50 -0700, wrote:

I apologise if this is not the correct place to ask this question but I
couldn't find a group for house plants.
I have a lucky bamboo plant growing in water. There is some sort of
green looking gung surrounding the roots. Could anyone tell me what
this is, if it is a danger to the plant and how I can safely remove it
if it is likely to effect its health.

Thanks.

I could not possibly guess what is in the roots. Why not remove the
plant, rinse it off, clean the container? I suggest using rainwater,
no fertilizers.

do u have algae in your pond at all? it might be a build up of that around the roots but i would do as Phisherman mentioned and clean it off and see what happens. good luck, sockiescat.

[email protected] 25-05-2006 10:24 PM

Rotting roots?

Thanks for your advice I have cleaned off some of the gunk now. My
father, who was looking after the plant before says it is probably
algea and when he cleaned it off before it improved the health of the
plant.

Happy gardening!

--
sockiescat