Old 11-04-2003, 02:08 PM
michele

Default Fluorescent light vs. grow light

I start quite a few seed indoors and was wondering if fluorescent
light can be used once the plants emerge rather than grow lights
(since I have quite a few fluorescent fixtures and bulbs not being
used).
Old 11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
SugarChile

Here's how I understand it. If you are growing houseplants, especially
flowering plants, indoors under lights in a more or less permanent setup,
you need the grow lights for the complete spectrum of light. If you are
just starting some seeds to get a few weeks jump on the season, the ordinary
fluorescents, especially a mix of warm and cool, are entirely adequate.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

om...

Old 11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Fred Garvin

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:49:39 -0400, michele wrote:

I start quite a few seed indoors and was wondering if fluorescent light
can be used once the plants emerge rather than grow lights (since I have
quite a few fluorescent fixtures and bulbs not being used).

Use Flourescents, "grow lights" are a TOTAL rip off.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 PM
clc

Do you know I have not been able to find a "warm" light at all in my area?
All fluorescents are labeled "cool".

Cheryl
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
SugarChile wrote:
Here's how I understand it. If you are growing houseplants, especially
flowering plants, indoors under lights in a more or less permanent
setup, you need the grow lights for the complete spectrum of light. If
you are just starting some seeds to get a few weeks jump on the season,
the ordinary fluorescents, especially a mix of warm and cool, are
entirely adequate.

Sue Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"michele" wrote in message
om...

I start quite a few seed indoors and was wondering if fluorescent
light can be used once the plants emerge rather than grow lights
(since I have quite a few fluorescent fixtures and bulbs not being
used).

I have very good success using GE's SPX30 and SPX35 fluorescent lamps, and
I think the last ones I bought were Philips "Alto TL830", or something

like
that. They are cheap, and the plants love 'em. They work a little better
than brand new "GRO" lamps, and they maintain their brightness a lot

longer
-- so they work much better than year old GRO lamps.

One warm white and one cool white worked pretty well about 20 years ago,
but fluorescent lamp technology has advanced a lot since then.

Hope this helps, :-)
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer:

Old 12-04-2003, 12:56 AM

yes, all fluorescents are full spectrum!!! of course if you got money to burn and
want the plants to LOOK better, add something expensive. Ingrid

Fred Garvin wrote:
Use Flourescents, "grow lights" are a TOTAL rip off.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

michele wrote:

I start quite a few seed indoors and was wondering if fluorescent
light can be used once the plants emerge rather than grow lights
(since I have quite a few fluorescent fixtures and bulbs not being
used).

Four tubes are enough for four trays. Try to keep the tubes between
2 and 4 inches from the tops of the seedlings. A matte white cardboard
panel in back of the seed trays will reflect otherwise wasted light
back to where it can do good.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Lynne

Reverse side of mylar gift-wrap works well too - and water repellant.

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote

Old 13-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Lynne wrote:

Reverse side of mylar gift-wrap works well too - and water repellant.

I was thinking of trying an old Venetian blind. You can adjust the vanes
to reflect light to where it's needed. It's also open, which should allow
better air circulation.