GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sunchokes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/145586-sunchokes.html)

glenon 29-05-2006 03:01 AM

Sunchokes

How do I harvest these? Mine throw out stems, leaves and beautiful
sunflower like flower. I had to saw down one area as it was too close to
the house, replanted some in better areas. Mind you these grow to over 10
feet!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

J.R. in MI 29-05-2006 05:48 PM

Sunchokes

harvest them with a pitchfork, try to get every tuber and all of the
roots. They will probably grow back anyway. I haven't been able to
get rid of them.

tenplay 30-05-2006 02:41 AM

Sunchokes

glenon wrote:
How do I harvest these? Mine throw out stems, leaves and beautiful
sunflower like flower. I had to saw down one area as it was too close to
the house, replanted some in better areas. Mind you these grow to over 10
feet!

Not sure what sunchokes are. Do you eat them? Any drawbacks to
planting them?

glenon 30-05-2006 04:00 AM

Sunchokes

They are also called Jerusalum Artichokes, cause the root tastes like an
artichoke. By the way, I worried and worried all winter if my Thai ginger
was going to sprout. Well, they have sprouted in full glory! Can't wait to
taste this tuber!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Claire Petersky 30-05-2006 06:44 AM

Sunchokes

"tenplay" wrote in message
glenon wrote:
How do I harvest these? Mine throw out stems, leaves and beautiful
sunflower like flower. I had to saw down one area as it was too close to
the house, replanted some in better areas. Mind you these grow to over
10 feet!

Not sure what sunchokes are. Do you eat them?

Yes.

Any drawbacks to planting them?

They can be terribly invasive. J.R. in MI suggested that every last tuber
and root be removed. From what I hear, that's very difficult, as they can go
6 to 8 feet down. You only need to plant them once to have them for life.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

tenplay 30-05-2006 06:50 PM

Sunchokes

glenon wrote:
They are also called Jerusalum Artichokes, cause the root tastes like an
artichoke. By the way, I worried and worried all winter if my Thai ginger
was going to sprout. Well, they have sprouted in full glory! Can't wait to
taste this tuber!

So if I like to eat artichokes, would I enjoy sunchokes? I haven't seen
them in my local super. How do you prepare them? I'd like to try one
before planting them. I wonder if they are grown here in Western
Washington.

Deb Hayes 30-05-2006 07:30 PM

Sunchokes

IIRC, sunchokes (the edible parts) are more on the order of a water
chestnut. You don't eat the undeveloped flower, but the root.

they were a staple food of the early Pilgrims.

HTH,

Deb

"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..

William Wagner 30-05-2006 07:37 PM

Sunchokes

In article ,
tenplay wrote:

glenon wrote:
They are also called Jerusalum Artichokes, cause the root tastes like an
artichoke. By the way, I worried and worried all winter if my Thai ginger
was going to sprout. Well, they have sprouted in full glory! Can't wait
taste this tuber!

So if I like to eat artichokes, would I enjoy sunchokes? I haven't seen
them in my local super. How do you prepare them? I'd like to try one
before planting them. I wonder if they are grown here in Western
Washington.

We peel and slice and add to our salads raw. Think of small easy to
grow tuber similar to Hicama that has small sunfowers on eight foot
plant.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

J.R. in MI 31-05-2006 02:58 AM

Sunchokes

We peel and slice and add to our salads raw. Think of small easy to
grow tuber similar to Hicama that has small sunfowers on eight foot
plant.

Don't they give you incredible gas?

glenon 31-05-2006 06:54 PM

Sunchokes

As far as eating them, boil them and eat like potatos, eat fresh, thinly
sliced in a salad. And yes, they do taste like artichoke hearts!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure