Old 17-02-2003, 04:51 PM
LeeAnne

Default Favorite Plants??

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Mine would probably be the purple coneflower . . . or sunflowers, wait, no
it's the sweet peas, ack no change that it's the columbine . . .arrrgghhh,
even I can't do it!! If I lived where I could grow them, it would be the
bird of paradise plant that I saw everywhere in San Diego a couple years
ago.

------
If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay
awake at night wondering if there is a dog?
-----

Old 17-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Pam

LeeAnne wrote:

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Mine would probably be the purple coneflower . . . or sunflowers, wait, no
it's the sweet peas, ack no change that it's the columbine . . .arrrgghhh,
even I can't do it!! If I lived where I could grow them, it would be the
bird of paradise plant that I saw everywhere in San Diego a couple years
ago.

I absolutely cannot limit it to one plant, but if I have to narrow it down,
I'd say I can't live without my trees. They cannot be rivaled for adding
structure to my garden, not to mention grace and beauty through form, foliage
color and flowers. If I had to pick a favorite among them, it would be a toss
up between the Stewartia and one of the Japanese maples. And I can't forget
the Robinia 'Frisia' or the weeping Katsura. Or the dogwood......see, this is
tough!!

pam - gardengal

Old 17-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Mark or Travis

"LeeAnne" wrote in message

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Sorry, can't do just one. Mine would be our pink Dogwood and our Bamboo.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 17-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Dave Fouchey

Thyme, love the form, the flowers and the culinary use of it. Second
place is a tie between Marjoram and Oregano with Parsley and Basil
running close behind and Lavender just "There". Then again there is
that stand of Bronze Fennel the Swallowtails love so much....

Dave Fouchey
Sterling Heights, MI

Old 17-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Carolyn LeCrone

I love my hellebores.
Carolyn
"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you

not
live without?

Lithodora 'Grace Ward.'

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 17-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Jan

Wow, nice tree.
I can't decide which is my favoriet either. I love my lilac trees, my
dogwood and forsythia shrubs. I couldn't be without lavender and those
bleeding hearts in the late spring. Just reading these posts makes me
yearn for this winter to be over.
Regards to all,
Jan
(in southern Ontario where we have had six straight weeks of below
freezing temps and are now experiencing a little lake effect blizzard.
(not as bad as some of you folks have put up with though.)

Tom Jaszewski wrote:

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:18:23 -0500, "LeeAnne"
wrote:

pick one . . .

Bursera microphylla, the windblown prostrate form especially.
http://www.swsbm.com/Images/B/Bursera_microphylla-1.jpg
http://lsvl.la.asu.edu/herbarium/tre...ts/burmic.html
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...icrophylla.htm

Regards,

tomj

Old 17-02-2003, 09:51 PM
madgard

"LeeAnne" wrote in message ...

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . . .

Mine would probably be the purple coneflower . . . or sunflowers, wait, no it's the sweet peas, ack no change that it's the columbine . . ..arrrgghhh, even I can't do it!! If I lived where I could grow them, it would be the bird of paradise plant that I saw everywhere in San Diego a couple years ago.

------

If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay awake at night wondering if there is a dog?

-----

you're right. it's hard. I would have to cheat and say "composite flowers"........G which ones? All of 'em

madgardener who loved everyone from Asters to Zinnia haageana angustifolia's

Southeastern TN, Zone 6b, Sunset zone 36

Old 17-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Pam

Iris Cohen wrote:

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without?

Lithodora 'Grace Ward.'

Amazing the various likes and dislikes.....this is one plant I would NOT have
in my garden. :-))

Old 18-02-2003, 12:51 AM
loonyhiker

Wow! What a great question and I love reading everyone's answers. Especially
since today is a rainy/sleety cold miserable day!

I couldn't live without my....irises! I just love my purple bearded irises
and my deep purple Siberian irises.

Hope everyone is safe and warm, wherever you are.

loony

Old 18-02-2003, 01:15 AM
paghat

"LeeAnne" wrote in message

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . .

Our shading Vine Maple is one of my absolute faves. It's not rare or
anything, it's a regular local native tree, but of unusually fine
appearance, & I don't think there are many rare pricey special Japanese
maple cultivars that would exceed its beauty.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 18-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Mark or Travis

"Pam" wrote in message

Iris Cohen wrote:

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you
not live without?

Lithodora 'Grace Ward.'

Amazing the various likes and dislikes.....this is one plant I would NOT
have in my garden. :-))

Why?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 18-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:16:42 GMT, "Mark or Travis"
wrote:

I presumed it was asking about the favorite plant growing in my yard. Not
my favorite plant growing somewhere on the planet.

You are a presumptuous twit.... this one IS in my yard, actually in my
entry garden along with numerous African and Baja species.

Regards,

tomj
Old 18-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:42:52 GMT, "Mark or Travis"
wrote:

Show us
the entry garden including the entry.

Us? you're the only twit whinnying!

Regards,

tomj
Old 18-02-2003, 06:39 AM
David Hare-Scott

Easy - parsley. Easy to grow, durable, low maintenance, makes a very
attractive border plant/groundcover, essential to cooking every day,
highly nutritious, can be used in many ways. If only it was perenial

David

"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
It self seeds quite nicely David, as do most of the umbilifers..

Dave

True. However with heavy mulching such seeds often don't start well on
their owna nd you still have bald spots etc between generations.

David