GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn from seed; help:( (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/145702-lawn-seed%3B-help.html)

jeffrey lohn 30-05-2006 10:34 PM

Lawn from seed; help:(

am a beginning gardener who planted a tiny urban backyard lawn (manhattan,
NYC) from seed--planted the seeds about a month and a half ago. Now the
lawn has come up-- maybe around 2-3 inches high), but there are 4 or 5
fairly large bald spots where only a few blades of grass emerged (could be
due to squirrels and birds??)
My question is: Is it too late to try to reseed these bald areas? and
how should i do it?
many thanx for any suggestions

JoeSpareBedroom 31-05-2006 01:00 AM

Lawn from seed; help:(

"jeffrey lohn" wrote in message
am a beginning gardener who planted a tiny urban backyard lawn (manhattan,
NYC) from seed--planted the seeds about a month and a half ago. Now the
lawn has come up-- maybe around 2-3 inches high), but there are 4 or 5
fairly large bald spots where only a few blades of grass emerged (could be
due to squirrels and birds??)
My question is: Is it too late to try to reseed these bald areas? and
how should i do it?
many thanx for any suggestions

If it gets much sun, then it *is* getting a bit late to reseed, but seed's
cheap, so it's worth a try. Put down the seed and cover it with burlap,
which will shade it, retain moisture, and keep birds away. Water right
through the burlap. When grass is poking through, carefully lift the burlap
and save for the next time you need it.

Myrl Jeffcoat 31-05-2006 02:39 AM

Lawn from seed; help:(

Putting out more seed is my suggestion too. I also like the burlap
idea. I'd spend a couple of extra dollars and get a really good
quality seed as well.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Myrl Jeffcoat 31-05-2006 05:14 AM

Lawn from seed; help:(

That's way too funny. . .Did you see Jamie Lee in "Wanda the Fish"? I
totally understood her going totally crazy when guys that spoke with an
Italian accent;-). . .By the way, what growing zone is Italy?;-)

hob 31-05-2006 09:23 PM

Lawn from seed; help:(

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
oups.com...
That's way too funny. . .Did you see Jamie Lee in "Wanda the Fish"? I
totally understood her going totally crazy when guys that spoke with an
Italian accent;-). . .By the way, what growing zone is Italy?;-)

It's about the same latitude as Minnesota, but I doubt it's zone 3-4

JoeSpareBedroom 31-05-2006 09:26 PM

Lawn from seed; help:(

"hob" wrote in message
. ..

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
oups.com...
That's way too funny. . .Did you see Jamie Lee in "Wanda the Fish"? I
totally understood her going totally crazy when guys that spoke with an
Italian accent;-). . .By the way, what growing zone is Italy?;-)

It's about the same latitude as Minnesota, but I doubt it's zone 3-4

Maybe Myrl should tell us which part of Italy the question applies to. It
matters.

Myrl Jeffcoat 01-06-2006 03:32 AM

Lawn from seed; help:(

Joe-
I was just kidding around. It was a 'take off' on your love of Jamie
Lee Curtis' legs. I mentioned a movie she was in - (Wanda The Fish).
In the movie, Jamie has a love of men who speak with an Italian accent.
It was a hilarious movie. But, I understood her love of men with the
Italian accent. Unfortunately that was back then - in the 1980s when
the movie came out. I'm a grandmother now, and wouldn't know what I do
if one even showed up. . .but hence, the question about the zoning of
Italy.

It was just an off-topic, devil made-me-do it question. . . Sorry!