Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mark

Default Is it more efficient to grow in containers or right in the ground?

Is it more efficient to grow vegetables in containers or right in the
ground?

Old 01-06-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it more efficient to grow vegetables in containers or right in the
ground?

In the ground, if you have a choice.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mark

reason I ask this stupid question is that I will have to grow it on the
slope.
And I know, that organic matter leeches out very fast.
Any ideas?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
ups.com...

Old 02-06-2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it more efficient to grow vegetables in containers or right in the
ground?

I've tried both ways. Mine do better in the ground.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
reason I ask this stupid question is that I will have to grow it on the
slope.
And I know, that organic matter leeches out very fast.
Any ideas?

You may want to try terracing.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mark

I do have created terraces.
problem is that organic matter leaches thru the ground and walls and
dissapeear very fast because it is a slope

Mindful wrote:
ups.com...

Old 02-06-2006, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

How do you know organic matter leaches out?

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I do have created terraces.
problem is that organic matter leaches thru the ground and walls and
dissapeear very fast because it is a slope

Mindful wrote:
ups.com...

Old 02-06-2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

unlike the sand, clay or silt of dirt, organic matter is water soluble. Ingrid

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

How do you know organic matter leaches out?

"Mark" wrote in message
roups.com...
I do have created terraces.
problem is that organic matter leaches thru the ground and walls and
dissapeear very fast because it is a slope

Mindful wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
reason I ask this stupid question is that I will have to grow it on the
slope.
And I know, that organic matter leeches out very fast.
Any ideas?

You may want to try terracing.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 04-06-2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I do have created terraces.
problem is that organic matter leaches thru the ground and walls and
dissapeear very fast because it is a slope

We replace the organic matter twice a year. We till in home made compost
with some woodash from the woodstove in early spring. We do it again in
fall. In spring we also till in composted cow manure, blood and bone meal
and Ironite from the store along with the compost we make ourselves. We use
almost no commercial fertilizer. We mulch everything with a less advanced,
coarser compost.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Layne

In ground growing is almost always better if the soil is good. You
will use less fertilizer and water. Growing in ground can expose your
plants to soil borne pathogens and pests, but in most cases these can
be controlled in a garden setting.

Layne