Old 01-06-2006, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mark

Default any good source of seeds for tomatoes.

any good source of seeds for tomatoes.
How do I start things from seeds?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
any good source of seeds for tomatoes.
How do I start things from seeds?

Over the years, I've always gotten the best germination rates from Burpee
seeds: www.burpee.com. My definition of "best" means I plant 12 seeds, and
11 grow. I've gotten less than wonderful results from Park, Thompson &
Morgan and Harris. There are lots of other seeds companies, but I haven't
tried others.

As far as how you start things from scratch, I (and anyone else) would be
doing you a huge disservice by explaining it. You should go to the library,
find some books, and start reading. There are brief instructions on seed
packets, but there's no way they can be fully informative. If you want a
good book recommendation, especially for a beginner, go to www.powells.com,
and get a used copy of "Crockett's Victory Garden". Each chapter represents
one month of the growing season in Boston, and his advice is excellent.
Ignore what he says about chemicals, though. He went WAY overboard.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Deb Hayes

Mark--I used Tomato Growers Supply Company this year, and had awesome luck
with most of the seeds. We got what seemed like 125% germination. While I
know that isn't very likely, I suggest you check them out...and they have a
freebie with a very small dollar order.
(www.tomatogrowers.com)

HTH,

Deb
oups.com...

Old 01-06-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Mark wrote:
any good source of seeds for tomatoes.
How do I start things from seeds?

Go buy plants this year, because it's too late to start from seed.
Between now and next February, go to the library and get a gardening
book and read up on how to start from seed. The reason, not all seed
get the same treatments.

BTW, for 3 or 4 plants, more than enough to feed the average family,
it's just as cheap to buy the 4 pack or the 6 pack plants.

Tom J

Old 01-06-2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Tom J" wrote in message
nk.net...
Mark wrote:
any good source of seeds for tomatoes.
How do I start things from seeds?

Go buy plants this year, because it's too late to start from seed. Between
now and next February, go to the library and get a gardening book and read
up on how to start from seed. The reason, not all seed get the same
treatments.

BTW, for 3 or 4 plants, more than enough to feed the average family, it's
just as cheap to buy the 4 pack or the 6 pack plants.

Tom J

Almost as cheap. But, many seeds, if stored properly, will last a few years:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07221.html

Old 01-06-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

totallyTomatoes.com

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 01-06-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
(Mel M Kelly) wrote:

totallyTomatoes.com

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Johnny's Selected Seeds. Folks in Maine USA.

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 01-06-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article ,
(Mel M Kelly) wrote:

totallyTomatoes.com

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

I've been looking for Marglobe Tomatoe seed. Any ideas?

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 01-06-2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Deb Hayes

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/midseason2.htm

Deb

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
(Mel M Kelly) wrote:

totallyTomatoes.com

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 01-06-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
clc

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
totallyTomatoes.com

Ditto.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
tenacity

Of course, you could always go to the store and buy a tomato you like.

They usually come with seeds.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

tenacity wrote:
Of course, you could always go to the store and buy a tomato you like.

You must be a person that has never grown his/her own tomatoes. Except
for the farmer market type stands, the crappy "tomatoes" that most
stores sell don't have anywhere near the flavor of home grown ones.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 02-06-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"tenacity" wrote in message
ups.com...
Of course, you could always go to the store and buy a tomato you like.

They usually come with seeds.

And, of course, it would be a crap shoot, knowing whether those seeds would
be the same as the parents. They could revert to something lame.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lawrence Akutagawa

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"tenacity" wrote in message
ups.com...
Of course, you could always go to the store and buy a tomato you like.

They usually come with seeds.

And, of course, it would be a crap shoot, knowing whether those seeds
would be the same as the parents. They could revert to something lame.

The usual litany about store bought tomatoes is that - unless you are
assured otherwise - those tomatoes are bred to be as hardy and tough as can
be such that they can withstand the kind of handling and processing the
backyard tomatoes cannot.

Do a web search on tomato seeds and you'll run across a number of vendors.
You'll be overwhelmed with the different varieties out there for the home
gardener. And unless you want to keep purchasing your seeds, opt for one of
the heirloom varieties. JoeSpareBedroom's comments apply to hybrids as well
as the store bought ones.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"tenacity" wrote in message
ups.com...
Of course, you could always go to the store and buy a tomato you like.

They usually come with seeds.

And, of course, it would be a crap shoot, knowing whether those seeds would
be the same as the parents. They could revert to something lame.

I picked thru all the tomatoes in the grocery store in February and
bought a few of the only ones that smelled like tomatoes. They were
orange, about the size of a baseball, and still had stems attached. The
red and the yellow tomatoes that otherwise looked just like them and the
"hothouse" tomatoes and the Romas all just smelled sort of like paper.

The orange tomatoes were actually pretty good, even in February, so I
saved some seeds. That's what I have growing in my garden right now,
and I don't even know yet if they are determinate or not. Whether they
turn out good or not, they will be fun -- and that's the important thing.

Best regards,
Bob