Old 05-06-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jmichele

Default My Beautiful Potted Mimosa Care Question

Hi all

I have a Mimosa tree that I took from a field as a sapling. I had taken
it home and replanted it in a small flower pot. Today it is in a bigger
pot about 15" at the rim and now is a healthy
1 year old about 2 feet tall.

My questions to you are...

When should I expect to see blooms? call me impatient ; )

Will it stay small or go root bound?

Should I repot it, but I would like it too stay small... anyway to keep
it that way?

Prune it maybe? I sometimes like to bring it into my home it is
currently outside enjoying the warm weather and sun. I live in Southern
New Jersey. It is now summer at the moment.

I read on one forum that this one woman had her beautiful small Mimosa
potted for 11 years but no other details were given.

I was just looking for some advice. I love my Mimosa it brings me alot
of joy and beauty.
I would like to keep us both happy for many years to come : )

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Jmichele wrote:

When should I expect to see blooms? call me impatient ; )

Hopefully never, because following the blooms are the seed pods.
Following the maturing of the seed pods is 1 day an explosion when the
pods split wide open and scatter mimosa seed everywhere. My entire
neighborhood is covered with mimosa bushes and trees all in the wooded
areas, in the lawns around the edges - anyplace where they were not
taken out by the roots the week they came up.

Will it stay small or go root bound?

You better hope so - see above.

Should I repot it, but I would like it too stay small... anyway to
keep it that way?

I wouldn't!!

Prune it maybe? I sometimes like to bring it into my home it is
currently outside enjoying the warm weather and sun. I live in
Southern New Jersey. It is now summer at the moment.

I read on one forum that this one woman had her beautiful small
Mimosa
potted for 11 years but no other details were given.

I was just looking for some advice. I love my Mimosa it brings me
alot
of joy and beauty.

In that case, water and feed just enough to keep it stable and if and
when it blooms, pull off the seed pods as they are forming

I would like to keep us both happy for many years to come : )

I wish you happiness!!

Tom J

Old 06-06-2006, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Uleetsa Moscowa wrote:
That is right! Mimosa is extremely invasive. I did not know it was
the seed pods. I thought it is the roots running under the lawn.

Once the plants get started, that's when the roots also start putting
up more bushes also. It's worse than kudzu in the south when it gets
started.

Tom J