Old 06-06-2006, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jimmy-Bob

Default coleus seem to have died

I had some very pretty coleus plants which I took out of my garden last fall
and kept them in my livingroom over winter. They got big - about 18" tall,
and really looked nice. I took several clippings and rooted them all in
water. Last week, I transplanted them all back into my garden and all the
small ones I rooted in water are doing fine, but all of the big ones' leaves
drooped overnight and the big plants now look as though they are all
dropping dead.

Any ideas what might have happened? The temperatures haven't gone below
about fifty (10 celsius) at night so they didn't get frostbite.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

"Jimmy-Bob" wrote in message
I had some very pretty coleus plants which I took out of my garden last
fall and kept them in my livingroom over winter. They got big - about 18"
tall, and really looked nice. I took several clippings and rooted them all
in water. Last week, I transplanted them all back into my garden and all
the small ones I rooted in water are doing fine, but all of the big ones'
leaves drooped overnight and the big plants now look as though they are all
dropping dead.

Any ideas what might have happened? The temperatures haven't gone below
about fifty (10 celsius) at night so they didn't get frostbite.

It may be a coincidence but I've never had coleus live longer than 18
months. I always take cuttings to root when they reach a large size and
start over with them. I think they have a lifespan on their own roots as do
marigolds and other annuals.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ornata

Jimmy-Bob wrote:
I had some very pretty coleus plants which I took out of my garden last fall
and kept them in my livingroom over winter. They got big - about 18" tall,
and really looked nice. I took several clippings and rooted them all in
water. Last week, I transplanted them all back into my garden and all the
small ones I rooted in water are doing fine, but all of the big ones' leaves
drooped overnight and the big plants now look as though they are all
dropping dead.

Any ideas what might have happened? The temperatures haven't gone below
about fifty (10 celsius) at night so they didn't get frostbite.

Did you harden them off first? It's not just low temperatures that can
injure plants put outside after being indoors.
http://www.recordonline.com/archive/...0/garden10.htm