GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   FAIRY RING FUNGI or MUSHROOM (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/146210-fairy-ring-fungi-mushroom.html)

Japhy 08-06-2006 06:50 PM

FAIRY RING FUNGI or MUSHROOM

Hello,
I just planted some new sod a couple of months ago (San Diego).
In 1 part of the lawn, I am getting some mushroom growth, or possibly
fairy ring fungus. Can anyone tell me how to identify if it is
mushrooms
or fairy ring fungus? If mushrooms, seems like I may be watering too
much. But if fairy ring fungus, sounds like one solution is to
saturate.
Any thoughts appreciated!

[email protected] 09-06-2006 12:28 AM

Japhy wrote:
Hello,
I just planted some new sod a couple of months ago (San Diego).
In 1 part of the lawn, I am getting some mushroom growth, or possibly
fairy ring fungus. Can anyone tell me how to identify if it is
mushrooms
or fairy ring fungus? If mushrooms, seems like I may be watering too
much. But if fairy ring fungus, sounds like one solution is to
saturate.
Any thoughts appreciated!

The mushrooms will grow in a circular pattern with darker green and
dead grass in the middle. Like icebergs the business part of a ring is
below ground. My experiance in ridding of them is to dig up the entire
affected area and resod. If not aeriate with a good pitchfork and add
lots of water and dish liquid mix to the fungus.

Japhy 09-06-2006 01:39 AM

FAIRY RING FUNGI or MUSHROOM

Thanks for the reply. Mine are growing not in a circular pattern, but
more random.
So am I correct in assuming that it not the fairy ring fungus
variety....I probably just overwatering and should cut back...
thanks again

[email protected] 10-06-2006 12:37 AM

FAIRY RING FUNGI or MUSHROOM

Don't sweat it, the mushrooms you see are the reproductive parts of the
fungi that is breaking down organic material in the soil. Old tree
roots, stumps etc. Once they finish, it becomes more available to the
plants.