GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Picture of my container tomato cages (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/146224-picture-my-container-tomato-cages.html)

Mark Anderson 08-06-2006 10:38 PM

Picture of my container tomato cages

I just finished the initial structure of the cages that will support my
8 container tomato patch. You can see it at:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/tomato-cages.jpg

I built this quickly without a level or framing square so this structure
isn't up to my usual quality construction. :-) It's built entirely
with scrap wood I had laying around and cost me only $6 for a box of
screws. As the plants grow I'll be adding more lathing to it depending
on where the branches grow.

Had this area been in a more public space I would have painted and
squared it up better but since it's not, I'm just letting the wood deal
with the weather on its own. It only took me about 2 hours to put
together.

[email protected] 09-06-2006 12:20 AM

Mark Anderson wrote:
I just finished the initial structure of the cages that will support my
8 container tomato patch. You can see it at:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/tomato-cages.jpg

I built this quickly without a level or framing square so this structure
isn't up to my usual quality construction. :-) It's built entirely
with scrap wood I had laying around and cost me only $6 for a box of
screws. As the plants grow I'll be adding more lathing to it depending
on where the branches grow.

Had this area been in a more public space I would have painted and
squared it up better but since it's not, I'm just letting the wood deal
with the weather on its own. It only took me about 2 hours to put
together.

Neat. I'm sure the plants don't care about the finished product.

Freckles 09-06-2006 04:42 AM

Picture of my container tomato cages

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
I just finished the initial structure of the cages that will support my
8 container tomato patch. You can see it at:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/tomato-cages.jpg

I built this quickly without a level or framing square so this structure
isn't up to my usual quality construction. :-) It's built entirely
with scrap wood I had laying around and cost me only $6 for a box of
screws. As the plants grow I'll be adding more lathing to it depending
on where the branches grow.

Had this area been in a more public space I would have painted and
squared it up better but since it's not, I'm just letting the wood deal
with the weather on its own. It only took me about 2 hours to put
together.

Great idea! One question. Shouldn't there be spacing between each container
for the plants to spread out?

Mark Anderson 09-06-2006 07:59 AM

Picture of my container tomato cages

In article says...
Great idea! One question. Shouldn't there be spacing between each container
for the plants to spread out?

LOL. I think you're right! I'm going to spread them out. Another pic
will follow. :-)