Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
ChelleBell

Default How to SAFELY eliminate a rat?

I know they say; "Where this is one, there are many", but my dad has a
rat that thinks it's a chipmunk! He feeds with them under the bird
feeders (he doesn't climb them like they do) alongside the birds, plays
hide-n-seek games, runs with them in the yard, and hides food with
them!

His house is atop a mountain above the Ohio River. The only time rats
ever ventured atop this several mile hill is when the river has extreme
flooding, which is not often.

He loves his wildlife so the deterent must be safe. He especially
loves his 'chippy's', even named each one of them! And there are many!
And if the neighborhood were to find out that he has a rat and did
nothing about it.. well that would make the front newspaper!

My mom was told to place pepperment outside to eliminate just the rat.
(Which by the way, looks like a cross between something and something
else).

Thanks for any advice.....

Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"ChelleBell" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

This will sound counterintuitive, but the safest way may be a pellet rifle
with a scope on it. But, there are two aspects to the safety question he

1) Safe for the other animals? Yes, assuming your dad doesn't have shaky
hands, and he rests the rifle on some sort of support (which a person of any
age really should do under these circumstances). A pellet rifle is quite
accurate if adjusted correctly, and that wouldn't take more than an hour of
testing is on a cardboard box full of newspapers. Once that's done, just one
shot would take care of the rat. No poison or traps needed. A decent enough
pellet rifle can be had, with scope for about $100.00.

2) Safe for the neighbors? If you can see a house in the line of fire, that
house should be 500-800 feet away. But, since you'd be shooting toward the
ground, you can reduce that distance assuming the ground's not full of rocks
or tree roots which might cause a ricochet. And, of course, everyone
watching this happen would be wearing safety glasses / goggles.

It sounds crazy, but safer than wishing really hard that the "good" animals
won't be hurt.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
ChelleBell

Great thought and I wish he would consider this option as he has a
pistol type pellet gun, but he has not used it since I was little.
This is out of the question now. He would not even permit me to do it
for him for fear he'd lose a chippy. (and daddies girls try to avoid
upsetting their daddies) If only the rat was by itself this would work
but it is always with the chipmunks and the birds. Never alone.

I'm beginning to wonder if one of the spoiled brats in the neighborhood
let some sort of exotic pet out because they were bored with it, as
this has happened in the past. I haven't seen it, but mom says it
really doesn't look like a rat. Kinda fuzzy, much bigger than any
mouse we've seen, yet much smaller than any rat. We looked at
enature.com to see if the rat was there, but it wasn't.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Koi-Lo

Get with the program. Call the USAF in and let em drop a laser guided
500# in on that rat.........They managed to hit that big rat in Iraq,
dead on.........

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 13:57:53 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
groups.com...

Old 09-06-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sgt.Sausage

[...]

I find a #10 boot to the skull, where the skull is between said
boot and the hard ground with a few Newtons of force to be the most
effective.

I used to run to get something to hit 'em with, or try to sneak in
and get the .22-- but without fail, they would scurry away before
the weapon of choice was located and prepared to perform its
duty.

Then one day I looked at the house (where the shovel was leaning)
said "ah, screw it, by the time I get it and get back here, he'll be
long gone" ... so I chased him around for a minute or two before
I had him cornered, and put my #10 boot to his head.

Works like a charm every time. Safe, effective, and easy to
do.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Roy

Are you sure its actually a rat. It oculd be one of CArol Gulleys
children so call her up or send her a email and ask if she has any
renegade kids on the loose i your area, most rats originallay come
from that woman anyhow.

or

Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"ChelleBell" wrote in message
oups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you've never used a scoped rifle. Unless the target is
constantly changing position, you should be able to cap the offending
creature without hitting anything else.

I'm beginning to wonder if one of the spoiled brats in the neighborhood
let some sort of exotic pet out because they were bored with it, as
this has happened in the past. I haven't seen it, but mom says it
really doesn't look like a rat. Kinda fuzzy, much bigger than any
mouse we've seen, yet much smaller than any rat. We looked at
enature.com to see if the rat was there, but it wasn't.

Can you photograph it? If so, post it online for all to see, on a site like
www.photobucket.com. And, call your state environmental department & ask if
you can e-mail a photo to someone who knows wildlife. I'm beginning to
wonder if you have a baby possum.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home

We used DCon, a poison, and it did not appear to bother the chipmunks,
but I don't count them so I can't say with absolute certainty that none
were harmed. I would suggest you consult a veterinarian to find the
best way to solve the problem. You could take along a picture of the
"rat" so the vet could identify exactly what it is.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

for sure, until you know what it is, leave it alone. Ingrid

"ChelleBell" wrote:
really doesn't look like a rat. Kinda fuzzy, much bigger than any
mouse we've seen, yet much smaller than any rat. We looked at
enature.com to see if the rat was there, but it wasn't.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Koi-Lo

For god sakes kill the dam thing I am sure its not the last of a
speices or an endangered speices.....
There just is not that many critters that an average individual is not
capable of ID'ing out there. Evidently this iidot never attended a
school and is therefore clueless as to what it actually
is.........duh!

"ChelleBell" wrote:
really doesn't look like a rat. Kinda fuzzy, much bigger than any
mouse we've seen, yet much smaller than any rat. We looked at
enature.com to see if the rat was there, but it wasn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Registered User

Smile

wrote:
really doesn't look like a rat. Kinda fuzzy, much bigger than any
mouse we've seen, yet much smaller than any rat. We looked at
enature.com to see if the rat was there, but it wasn't.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

from what u are saying this may very well be a pet that
someone decided they didnt want anymore.
your best bet might be to try one of those humane traps like
"have a heart" where u can catch the animal and set it free.
otherwise it might be an idea to call your humane society and
see what they suggest. good luck. cyaaaaa, sockiescat.