Old 15-06-2006, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rose half dead. Or just sleeping?

I have a long stem rose plant that's two years old. It has two branch
knobby thingies sticking out from a fist size bulb above ground (like
many plants I've seen in other gardens).

Last year, at least a dozen roses came out from both sides of the bulb.
This season only two came out from one of the side branches and nothing
new is comming out for past 2-3 weeks. How can I tell if it's dying or
just going through some sort of sleeping phase? I have another rose
plant 3 feet away (different sort) that's doing fine.

Thanks
Ron

Old 15-06-2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home

I would guess the bulb is the site where they grafted the display rose
(the one that has nice scented flowers but weak roots) onto what we call
a wild rose (one that has less pretty flowers, but strong roots).

If the canes you see are from the lower part of the bulb, or below, I
would guess that your display rose has died and you are seeing some wild
rose canes. That there are far fewer of them probably indicates the
plant is doing poorly.

My experience is that some roses last for years, while some don't.
Where they are planted (they need soil that drains) and how they are
cared for probably has a lot to do with this, but I think variety also
plays a role.

You don't say where you are, but in the US zone 5 where I am, all the
roses have been up for awhile, so the one of mine that has shown no
growth is, no doubt, gone. The optimal planting season is past for me
here, so I will wait until next spring to put in a replacement.

If you decide to replace it, I suggest you mark it this fall, as when it
comes time to replant next spring, its hard to tell the dead ones from
the dormant.