Old 15-06-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Growing too close to struggling rose, should I pull or transplant wildflower plants?

I transplanted 6 Harison's Yellow roses in late May, and they are
struggling. They look pretty bad, but I'm feeding them and some of the
plants are sprouting new leaves. They suffered severe transplant shock,
were growing in full sun but the one that is doing the best is the most
shaded although smaller than most of them. I finally pruned them back a
little.

Anyway, until they get established, if they do, we scattered some daisy
and poppy and other seeds to fill in. Now one group of plants which are
past the seedling stage are clumped around one of the bushes that is
showing no new growth and I fear the competition with the wildflowers
may set it back more.

I can dig them up and put them in a bare spot but don't want to disturb
the roots of the rose bush. Maybe it is just better to pull them out?

Old 16-06-2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
I transplanted 6 Harison's Yellow roses in late May, and they are
struggling. They look pretty bad, but I'm feeding them and some of the
plants are sprouting new leaves. They suffered severe transplant
shock, were growing in full sun but the one that is doing the best is
the most shaded although smaller than most of them. I finally pruned
them back a little.

Anyway, until they get established, if they do, we scattered some
daisy and poppy and other seeds to fill in. Now one group of plants
which are past the seedling stage are clumped around one of the bushes
that is showing no new growth and I fear the competition with the
wildflowers may set it back more.

I can dig them up and put them in a bare spot but don't want to
disturb the roots of the rose bush. Maybe it is just better to pull
them out?

Never mind. I just dug them up and transplanted them, will lose some.
Then watered with miracle grow because I hadn't done that yet.

Old 16-06-2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
I transplanted 6 Harison's Yellow roses in late May, and they are
struggling. They look pretty bad, but I'm feeding them and some of the
plants are sprouting new leaves. They suffered severe transplant shock,
were growing in full sun but the one that is doing the best is the most
shaded although smaller than most of them. I finally pruned them back a
little.

Anyway, until they get established, if they do, we scattered some daisy
and poppy and other seeds to fill in. Now one group of plants which are
past the seedling stage are clumped around one of the bushes that is
showing no new growth and I fear the competition with the wildflowers may
set it back more.

I can dig them up and put them in a bare spot but don't want to disturb
the roots of the rose bush. Maybe it is just better to pull them out?

Right. Pull them out.

Old 16-06-2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

dont feed newly planted stuff. it is like shoving a steak dinner on somebody just
outta surgery. the only thing appropriate is a big of superphosphate and compost in
the hole when transplanting. Ingrid

"I Love Lucy" wrote:
Never mind. I just dug them up and transplanted them, will lose some.
Then watered with miracle grow because I hadn't done that yet.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 16-06-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

wrote in message
dont feed newly planted stuff. it is like shoving a steak dinner on
somebody just
outta surgery. the only thing appropriate is a big of superphosphate
and compost in
the hole when transplanting. Ingrid

They've been in the ground over a month now so I decided to see if one
dose would help. Don't have any compost yet. I'll have to get a little
superphosphate. Thanks for the advice.

The transplants looked good this morning, don't know what the day's heat
will do to them, watered them well.

"I Love Lucy" wrote:
Never mind. I just dug them up and transplanted them, will lose some.
Then watered with miracle grow because I hadn't done that yet.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold
site.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan