Old 20-06-2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Does anyone know the name of an old rose popular in the 1940's and 1950's?

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of it, but a couple other people are
asking on the web about what rose it could have been, too. Maybe it was
grown well before WWII; I don't know and don't remember anybody else
having one other than people now talkign about it trying to identify it.

Ours was a rental house and it had been there since at least before
1943, very mature, was huge, on a large trellis, very tall and very
wide. I don't know a multiflora from a grandiflora, but it had clusters
of small (maybe 1-inch?), double, medium pink to rose colored blooms,
for a long period during the summer. Don't remember a particular
fragrance and it wasn't much for cutting, but sure looked beautiful when
it bloomed. It required no care that I remember.

I remember my mother talking about a Pinnochio rose, but I think that
was a shrub rose, and the only other named rose we had was a Peace rose
when they became all the rage and some miniature ones.

Old 20-06-2006, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paulo da Costa

I Love Lucy wrote:

Ours was a rental house and it had been there since at least before
1943, very mature, was huge, on a large trellis, very tall and very
wide. I don't know a multiflora from a grandiflora, but it had clusters
of small (maybe 1-inch?), double, medium pink to rose colored blooms,
for a long period during the summer. Don't remember a particular
fragrance and it wasn't much for cutting, but sure looked beautiful when
it bloomed. It required no care that I remember.

Cecile Brunner?

Paulo
Old 20-06-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob

I Love Lucy wrote:
[...]

My mother-in-law has one that she calls a "fairy rose". I don't know
what the variety is.

I think what you're looking for is classified as a Rambler; the most
famous variety is named Dorthy Perkins. HTH :-)

Bob
Old 20-06-2006, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I Love Lucy wrote:
[...]

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/...airy-rose.html

Too light, not the flower form I remember

I think what you're looking for is classified as a Rambler; the most
famous variety is named Dorthy Perkins. HTH :-)

Here's a Dorothy Perkins; I'm looking in my rose book. I know there are
variations within varieties, soil, weather, but I don't remember the
blossom looking like this:

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses...hyperkins.html

That's not the best sample as those don't look like any rose leaves I
ever saw, but the pink is about right.

Bob

Old 20-06-2006, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Try looking at the picture of the Climbing Cecil Brunner. We had one
on a fence when I was a kid, and it sounds very much like what you
describe.

Old 20-06-2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Paulo da Costa" wrote in message
. com...
I Love Lucy wrote:

Ours was a rental house and it had been there since at least before
1943, very mature, was huge, on a large trellis, very tall and very
wide. I don't know a multiflora from a grandiflora, but it had
clusters
of small (maybe 1-inch?), double, medium pink to rose colored blooms,
for a long period during the summer. Don't remember a particular
fragrance and it wasn't much for cutting, but sure looked beautiful
when
it bloomed. It required no care that I remember.

Cecile Brunner?

Too light pink, wrong flower form. This one was more compact but not
like a zinnia, no whorls or quarters, don't remember the eye, must have
had one. I was only a kid then.

Cardinal de Richlieu is kind of close, but doesn't look quite the same.
It doesn't get that large (should have mentioned this to the other
poster).

I'll look through my rose book and some more net galleries tomorrow and
see what comes the closest; I was drawn to the Richlieu before.

This one withstood harsh winters to at least -10, sometimes more,
southern exposure, and didn't die back, actually once it got so large,
it might have stopped growing. I don't remember my father pruning it,
but it is possible.

Darn, not one photo of that rose even in b&w. I'll ask my younger
sister if she remembers anything about it. It didn't have the form like
so many of the old garden roses, and the petals were definitely short,
but the blossom was full but not packed full, not like a wild rose,
Betty Prior, etc.

Some pink climbers in my old rose book (1988), not Zéphirine Drouhin,
not Pompon de Paris, not Parade (kind of close, can't go by colors in a
book), closest I can find is a climber called Chaplin's Pink Climber but
doesn't look quite like it either, not close enough to make out the
intricate details. I like that Chaplin's Pink and can't find a good
photo of it yet. It was introduced in 1928 and won a gold medal from
the National Rose Society, blooms once a year in May.

http://members.aol.com/srbrubaker/roses/roses.htm

Thanks to the both of you.

Paulo

Old 20-06-2006, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Try looking at the picture of the Climbing Cecil Brunner. We had one
on a fence when I was a kid, and it sounds very much like what you
describe.

Way too light and puffy. Beautiful though, will consider that for my
arbor.

This one was much darker pink, or rose-colored, and not purplish or
mauve. This is one tough mystery to unravel. My memory of it isn't the
best but for the color (memory is close but couldn't nail it on a paint
sampler) and size of bloom, we moved away from there when I was 12, and
much as I loved flowers when I was a kid, I scrutinized it occasionally,
but never thought to ask anything about it. Just wrote to my childhood
friend but doubt she'll know. She will probably remember the rose
though. I don't remember if it had a yellow center or not, sure it
didn't have a button center.

Thanks for responding. It's hard to imagine those fancy French-named
roses out here in the midwest, but maybe. People wouldn't have spent a
lot on a rose in those days, not that just because they have French
names they would have necessarily been that expensive.

Old 20-06-2006, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Old Blush?
(Synonoms: Common Monthly, China Monthly, Common blush China, Old Pink
Daily, Old Pink Monthly, Parson's Pink China). China (Old Garden Rose),
medium pink. Introduced in Sweden in 1752 and into England before 1759

Found this on World Federation of Rose Societies Old Rose page.
They have a contact email for questions, maybe they can put a name on it for
you if this isn't it.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/web.php?lstgID=5431
Good luck,
nk.net...

Old 20-06-2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Elaine" wrote in message
.. .

Thank you for the suggestion, I am writing them now. Here is the only
photo I have, and you sure can't tell much from that. You can see the
large trellis in the background.

http://www.white-peacock.com/Reunion.jpg

I think it was taken either in the early spring or late fall of 1949
because one of the people in the photo died July 31, 1950, could have
been spring 1950.

Old 20-06-2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paulo da Costa

I Love Lucy wrote:

Thanks for responding. It's hard to imagine those fancy French-named
roses out here in the midwest, but maybe. People wouldn't have spent a
lot on a rose in those days, not that just because they have French
names they would have necessarily been that expensive.

They wouldn't be expensive, new varieties may be more expensive, but
these climbing and rambling forms are different. For instance the Cecile
Brunner dates back to the 1880s and grows like a weed, I've been trying
to kill one for years. Roses like that would be old and probably common
in the 1940s (whoever planted them before would still have too much of
them).

Paulo

Old 20-06-2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

I Love Lucy wrote:

Thanks for responding. It's hard to imagine those fancy French-named
roses out here in the midwest, but maybe. People wouldn't have spent
lot on a rose in those days, not that just because they have French
names they would have necessarily been that expensive.

They wouldn't be expensive, new varieties may be more expensive, but
these climbing and rambling forms are different. For instance the
Cecile
Brunner dates back to the 1880s and grows like a weed, I've been
trying
to kill one for years. Roses like that would be old and probably
common
in the 1940s (whoever planted them before would still have too much of
them).

True, I wonder where people bought them then. They must have had some
garden centers, but not like we see so ubiquitously today. Hardware
store? My farm relatives usually seemed to trade for most of their
plants, but they could have bought some that caught their eye when they
went to town.

Named varieties vary, too, I've found out from my own experience, so
nothing can be ruled out completely at this point.

Here is an old rambler I photographed in May 2003, huge thing growing in
bush form atop a concrete rubble terrace, won't post the entire bush
photo:

http://www.white-peacock.com/OldRose2.jpg

Here are blooms from the exact same bush this year, got there a little
late; they were past their prime (May 31). Owner thinks that because we
had prolonged mild weather so early, the plant was forced into bloom
before the buds were fully mature.

http://www.white-peacock.com/IMG_4196.jpg

You would never know it was the same rose. Imagine the variations in
descriptions these two photos would evoke. The blooms were quite a bit
smaller this year and the form looks quite different. Someone on
another forum has one similar to the first link he thinks is Charles de
Mills. I'm not convinced but it certainly could be, very similar to
some photos I've seen.

Note that the above links have nothng to do the with rose I'm trying to
id in this thread.

Paulo

Old 21-06-2006, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

Picture brings back memories...nice family photo. I was born in '49.
Can't make out the rose. I remember my Mom had a light pink rambler that she
tried desperately to kill even with gas and burning. Poor thing always came
back and is at the old homeplace to this day along with the wisteria that
covers every thing in its path!
Good luck in your quest.
Elaine
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
k.net...

.. .

Old 21-06-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Elaine" wrote in message
. ..
Picture brings back memories...nice family photo. I was born in '49.
Can't make out the rose. I remember my Mom had a light pink rambler
that she tried desperately to kill even with gas and burning. Poor
thing always came back and is at the old homeplace to this day along
with the wisteria that covers every thing in its path!
Good luck in your quest.

The world rose people wrote right back and referred me to the CR people
at www.ars.org which has a list of consultants for each geographical
area. I sent them a lengthy email, wish I could have been more
succinct, but I also asked them about three other old roses I'm trying
to grow, had some nice photo links for those. One we think is the
Harison's yellow and the other might be a Charles de Mills. I was
discouraged about my cuttings looking bad, but I read on their cutting
instructions page that so long as the stem is still green, the plant
still has life so not to give up too quickly.

I shrink at the thought of killing a rose but don't know the
circumstances. I have one particular red one that has grown from root
suckers when the hybrid Queen Elizabeth died off and was going to dig it
out because the canes are shooting everywhere. So many people have
commented on how pretty it is (that particular one is a huge rambler)
that I am going to try to get it trained on a trellis which will be a
problem coordinating because the house needs painting.

Always something. It will probably take them awhile to sort through my
roses. One is so pretty somebody on a rose forum suggested a grower
might be interested in it.

http://www.white-peacock.com/OldRose2.jpg

Also trying to root this one. None of the cuttings looks good, but the
above one is going a little better; I was able to get longer stems from
that one.

http://www.white-peacock.com/MysteryRose.jpg

The scent of the second one is heavenly.

You've all been great about my rose id problem, and I heartily thank you
all.

Even WITH a photo, it is sometimes difficult. That first one bloomed
completely differently this year I guess because of too mild temps too
early affecting the blossoms. I guess roses do that. Before I got so
interested and infatuated with these heirloom roses (and my childhood
one), my idea of growing roses was to go to the nursery and buy an
expensive, potted hybrid one, dig a hole and mix with don't remember,
water, prune, etc.

From now on I only want to grow own root roses.

Here is what I hope my struggling, scrubby little Harison? Yellow (that
is the closest we can find on that one) transplants from suckers will
turn into one day, although I'm going to try to prune them to make them
a little bushier if I can without ruining them. Most of the ones on the
property where the donor gave them to me are on tall woody, extremely
thorny stems, extremely hardy. This picture doesn't reflect that so
much, but that's the way most of them are.

http://www.white-peacock.com/Helen2.jpg

Old 22-06-2006, 06:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

I admire roses and the people that have that "special" talent it takes to
produce those wonderful blooms.
I have a few climbers and have just acquired a couple of the Gordon Thomas I
hope to train over an arbor.
I have always loved roses just never had the time it took until this past
year so I am now rekindling my love since
retirement. The yellow Harrison rose picture is beautiful..
The ars.org consultants should be able to help you. I just contacted the one
in my area (Ga.) for advice and she was very
helpful with suggestions on which types and planting this late in the
season. We are already in the 90's and very humid, lots of blackspot to deal
with. Last summer I took a cutting of the wild pink one that grows down
here. This year it is sending out some huge canes and not a sign of the
blackspot. That's what I like about the old fashion ones, very tough and
disease resistant and hard to kill. :0
Elaine
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Elaine" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From now on I only want to grow own root roses.

Old 22-06-2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

"Elaine" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You've got that exactly right, that's why I decided it's own root from
now on so I don't have to mess at least as much with fungicides and
powders. I never took the time to learn by doing (just reading and then
you forget if you don't actually get your hands dirty except for potted
ones). I didn't even know how to prune them correctly, do a little
better now, but a pro would roll his/her eyes :-). If the ars people
are able to help, I'm sure they will. Sometimes you just don't know for
sure, without a photo almost impossible and difficult even with one.

I will look up that Gordon Thomas when I have time. I'm in zone 5 and
it might not be hardy enough for here. I have two kit arbors sitting in
boxes in my sunroom and my patience is being sorely tried because before
they can be installed, a lot of prep work has to be done . . .and there
is one delay after another . . .can't do all of it myself or I would.

Good luck with your roses. You've been a great help to steer me to the
right people.

Elaine
"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Elaine" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From now on I only want to grow own root roses.

Here is what I hope my struggling, scrubby little Harison? Yellow
(that is the closest we can find on that one) transplants from
suckers will turn into one day, although I'm going to try to prune
them to make them a little bushier if I can without ruining them.
Most of the ones on the property where the donor gave them to me are
on tall woody, extremely thorny stems, extremely hardy. This picture
doesn't reflect that so much, but that's the way most of them are.

http://www.white-peacock.com/Helen2.jpg

[IMG] code is On

1940's Garden 'Mike' United Kingdom 100 07-02-2008 10:09 AM
does anyone know what type rose this is? Rachael Simpson Gardening 15 28-06-2007 11:21 PM
Lemon Plant - does anyone know its proper name? mbelcher68 Gardening 5 19-10-2005 07:47 AM
Koi and Garden Pools by Herbert R. Axelrod (1940) mrs_danvers Ponds 0 01-05-2005 05:12 AM
Does anyone know the true name of the "Judy Garland" rose? GamePlayer No. 1058 Roses 6 21-05-2003 02:32 PM