GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mulberry Tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/146761-mulberry-tree.html)

[email protected] 20-06-2006 02:49 PM

Mulberry Tree

Daughter-in-law bought one with a 3' ball + or -. Son has to dig the
hole, how much bigger than the root ball should it be? Is there any
particular fertilizer that should be used at that time?

Audrey

Phisherman 20-06-2006 04:04 PM

Mulberry Tree

On 20 Jun 2006 06:49:52 -0700, wrote:

Daughter-in-law bought one with a 3' ball + or -. Son has to dig the
hole, how much bigger than the root ball should it be? Is there any
particular fertilizer that should be used at that time?

Audrey

Twice the size. In many parts of the US this is a bad time to plant a
tree. Wait until winter and wet ground to use any fertilizer. There
is a product called "Upstart" that can be used at transplant time to
reduce shock (it smells like liquid vitamins).

Elaine 21-06-2006 02:26 PM

Mulberry Tree

Hope no one nearby has a white car or cement sidewalks. My Mother has a
mulberry and the birds love it but purple poop gets everywhere.
oups.com...

Treedweller 25-06-2006 05:46 PM

Mulberry Tree

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:04:54 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On 20 Jun 2006 06:49:52 -0700, wrote:

Daughter-in-law bought one with a 3' ball + or -. Son has to dig the
hole, how much bigger than the root ball should it be? Is there any
particular fertilizer that should be used at that time?

Audrey

Twice the size. In many parts of the US this is a bad time to plant a
tree. Wait until winter and wet ground to use any fertilizer. There
is a product called "Upstart" that can be used at transplant time to
reduce shock (it smells like liquid vitamins).

More specifically, twice (or three times) as wide, but no deeper. The
trunk flares at the base of the tree should be exposed to open air.
Planting a little shallow is better than a little deep.

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx

Good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX_0236AT

Ether Jones 25-06-2006 08:05 PM

Mulberry Tree

Elaine wrote:
Hope no one nearby has a white car or cement sidewalks. My Mother has a
mulberry and the birds love it but purple poop gets everywhere.

Only a problem if the tree is female. Male mulberry trees don't get
fruit.

I have about 300 of them on my property.