Old 20-06-2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
newsreader

Default Black Walnut trees removal & disposal

After living with quite a number of large B.W. trees in my 1 1/2 year
old new home, I have decided several need to be removed. They are just
too darn messy, and I'm having some trouble with plants within their
driplines.

Since all are fully leafed out now, and already dropping nuts, I
envision a pretty huge pile of grindings when the tree guys come.

If I decide to leave all these grindings on my property somewhere, to
compost into future usable soil enrichment, will these composted
grindings be toxic to other plantS, or are the walnut toxins only
produced while the trees are alive?

Also, I will have a bunch of logs, some maybe over 2' diameter. Would
these be of any value other than making several winter's worth of firewood?

David in MD
Old 20-06-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

newsreader wrote:

After living with quite a number of large B.W. trees in my 1 1/2 year
old new home, I have decided several need to be removed. They are just
too darn messy, and I'm having some trouble with plants within their
driplines.

Since all are fully leafed out now, and already dropping nuts, I
envision a pretty huge pile of grindings when the tree guys come.

Black walnut lumber is very valuable and you would do better looking for
someone to buy the trees and remove them for you.

If I decide to leave all these grindings on my property somewhere, to
compost into future usable soil enrichment, will these composted
grindings be toxic to other plantS, or are the walnut toxins only
produced while the trees are alive?

You will encounter the same antigrowth toxins from the dead stuff as you
will from the live trees. See above.

Also, I will have a bunch of logs, some maybe over 2' diameter. Would
these be of any value other than making several winter's worth of firewood?

David in MD

Used mostly for gun stocks and furniture David, very valuable wood. I
brokered a sale of 10,000 board feet a number of years ago and the owner
made out like a bandit. Check around in your area for folks who might be
interested in buying them.

George

Old 20-06-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Köi-Lö

We sold 4 huge BW many many years ago from a property we had in PA.
The company that bought them wanted to lease the land for a few more
years that they were on so we worked that out as well. They installed
chainlink fence around them, and they had a company they hired by
them to maintain the trees for 5 more years, until they finally
harvested them.......They were destined for the gunstock market. For
what we got for those 4 trees and the rent on the ground they grew
out of, I would like to have a few more like that to sell....Money was
very good.

Old 20-06-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"George Shirley" wrote in message
. ..
newsreader wrote:

[...]

I wonder if posting this in rec.woodworking might generate some interest for
the OP's trees.

Old 21-06-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Elaine

If you want to sell them to a lumber yard to use make sure they are not cut
shorter than 7 feet for processing.

Old 22-06-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
~Roy~

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 02:30:12 GMT, "The Other Funk"
wrote:

Step away from the trees David. You don't have a problem, you have an
opportunity.
Like others have said, find a local woodworker. When he gets done
salivating, he'll offer you a price. He may even want to dig out the root
burls.
If rec.woodworking doesn't get you anyone, try Woodmiser.com. They have a
list of woodmiser sawmill owners. Bob
"newsreader" wrote in message
.. .
After living with quite a number of large B.W. trees in my 1 1/2 year old
new home, I have decided several need to be removed. They are just too
darn messy, and I'm having some trouble with plants within their
driplines.

Since all are fully leafed out now, and already dropping nuts, I envision
a pretty huge pile of grindings when the tree guys come.

Those roots have some fantastic patterns and are also worth money so
don't grind them up, The other funk has it dead on.......every inch of
a walnut is worth $$$$$

If I decide to leave all these grindings on my property somewhere, to
compost into future usable soil enrichment, will these composted grindings
be toxic to other plantS, or are the walnut toxins only produced while the
trees are alive?

Are they walnut logs? I certainly would not burn em.